Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: How much Rifle Bling for a tahr hunt

How much Rifle Bling for a tahr hunt

Hi Guy's,
    I'm planing a Tahr hunt with a guide shortly and one question I had is how much rifle bling to take.
    ie I have a nice 243 with which I have shot goats at 440 mtr and my boys 14 & 16 got a Fellow deer at 240 & 260 meters last year.
    Normally for Day walks I have the Silencer and Bi-pod on it.
    Unfortunately this adds weight and length to the 24" barrel all out past the sling causing it to try and rotate around when carried on the sling.

My question is
    Do I bother taking the Silencer and Bipod or just sight it in again over a bag with ear muffs on which is how I used to do most of my shooting 20 years back.

Also too i'm much closer to 50 than 40 years old plus carrying some joint issues so every 1/2 kilo I can save is important.
    Ps I have been doing at least once a week a walk that includes 220 mtr of up and corresponding down. ( now moving too twice a week )

Thanks
    Zane

If you are comfortable shooting without the bipod and suppressor then leave them behind.
    For fitness I have found that cycling is really good for the legs and uses similar muscles to going up hills.
    Get a good premium projectile as the 243 is getting a bit light for a big bull tahr.
    gadgetman, Rich007, Dougie and 3 others like this.

Put the bipod in your pack, if you get a long shot you have time to get it on and get set up.
    Leave the suppressor at home.

The rest as stug said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I was using bipods for many years, now use what's around main backpack, day pack and even rocks piled up to the right height. For me I like using suppressors and would always take it even if in backpack when needed as tahr hunting your normally got plenty of time to setup for the shot. You could always get your guide to carry them.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    If you are comfortable shooting without the bipod and suppressor then leave them behind.
    For fitness I have found that cycling is really good for the legs and uses similar muscles to going up hills.
    Get a good premium projectile as the 243 is getting a bit light for a big bull tahr.
    What @stug said.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I wouldn't bother taking the bipod, just use a pack or something as suggested.

Suppressor probably a personal choice depending how strong a preference you have between using that rifle with/without it.

ditch the bipod,shoot over daybag. keep suppressor and carry rifle slung across your front with muzzle up over right shoulder left hand will rest on pistol grip...they balance very nice that way...try it ..go on I dare you.... also just on left shoulder muzzle forward with left hand gripping suppressor or barrel depending on where it balances.
    .243 is minimum for thar get good projectiles and run most accurate load you can make.....or ring and ask guide as he probably has loaner/client rifle in something with a bit more authority you could use.

I carry bipod in backpack, and it gets used tahr hunting more often than not. Generally plenty of time to attach.
    As for using a suppressor, I have definitely noticed that tahr will stand and look at a supressed shot (I use .270), as opposed to non suppressed shots. Not usually a major problem unless you miss, but good if hunting with a mate and you both want a bull in a mob.
    BTW - my first post here
    P38, Shootm, Dorkus and 1 others like this.

P38
    If your concerned about weight leave the bipod and suppressor at home and replace them with your pack or a rolled up jacket and a pair of foam earplugs.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

From what I have heard fitness is a key thing in tahr country, probably more important than working about what to take with you
    norsk likes this.

I'm thinking 243 would be the minimum for a big bull. Shot placement crucial. Study some pictures, and think how long the mane is. The old up front leg and up a 1/3, will see you just touching skin. Fitness is also important. Look at some topo maps from the area, and those lines aren't steps. 200m vertical could only see you 100m away from your tent. Last time I wandered after a tahr, we climbed ruffly 1300 vertical, shot our animal, and back down in the dark. Biking helps build the strength and endurance needed

sneakywaza I got
    Tahr are not like normal feral goats, ferals easy to kill at any distance with a .243, Tahr, are not. If you have a solid grasp of anatomy and placement requirements, and run a suitable tough pill for 250yds and an alternate pill for beyond that, a .243 is just adequate/marginal. A bullet like the Hornady 87gn Hp will work past 200yds, the 95gn SST, 90gn Swift, 90gn Hotcor (and a few others too) up close. I like the Seirra 85gn Hp (inside 300) as a tough good killing bullet, but can't use it in tandem with the Hornady 87gn Hp cause I can't tell them apart loaded.

If you shoot Tahr often, you can make a .243 work, if not- bring something more suitable. If that first shot is cocked up, Tahr turn into the hardest damn thing to kill you ever struck, a feral will sit down and complain untill you give it another pill, a Tahr will go "fuck you!" and exit stage left quick time.

Mate, an easy way to get stronger for the uphill climbs is to make a box out of thick ply (rectangle so you have two heights 40cm and 60cm) and do some "step ups" whilst holding a 5kg weight of some sort straight over your head. Arms straight.

Increase by wearing a pack as you get better... fast up, slow down...... feels easy to start with, but you feel the love pretty soon.

Maybe start with 4 sets of 20 each leg depending on fitness.
    Dougie likes this.

Hi All, Thanks for the input.
    I'm away for a few day's and will be back next week.
    Re bullets I normally use 87gr which has been great on goats and Fallow and smaller reds.
    However this last little while I've been running a premium 105 gr that I have found is not ideal for goats. Big exit hole as it gets about 1/2 way through before it starts to do it's thing so I'm expecting that it should be good on something a little tougher.

Re fitness. That's the one thing everyone I have spoken to says. "I should have done more" I'm doing my up and down walk as I have found previously that if I don't do some down hill work the knee's start to play up.
    Have also discovered anti-inflammatory NSAI drugs work wonder's.

I'm not looking forward to 1000 mtr climb's. Have done 750 a year or so back with full pack and while it did not take that long I was buggered afterwards. (probably went too fast)
    I'm counting on the Helicopter getting us up high and hoping to fly camp from there.
    Not too stressed if I'm doing climbs with just rifle and day pack. Will be taking my sticks. They make life so much easier and faster.
    Cheer's Zane

The 105's sound like they wilkl be good for tahr. The sticks will make a big difference, I used some on my last trip and was surprised at the difference they made. Really good for keeping your balance while sidling too.
    Get as fit as you can, and then a bit fitter. You can never be too fit for a tahr hunt.