Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: How often are you successful?

How often are you successful?

I started hunting deer this year, the first hunt I went out with someone else and they got a young stag. I went out once more with him (nothing) before starting out on my own (with the wife). We got a yearling/spike on our first outing (Pureora) - my first deer. Second outing there - nothing seen.
    Since then we have started hunting the Kaimai's due to access with our vehicle, we have been in there 6 or 7 times (day hunts) - has never come together for us there despite lots of sign about, and 2 sightings.

Are we just terrible at this?

2 deer out of your first 10 days hunting? Chin up mate, you’re doing just fine

Sounds like my experience.
    When younger, fitter and keener it was a deer every second trip at least

Most of the times now I’m just ‘walking the rifle’, probably because I’ve been out of the loop for quite some time.

so many virables man keep it up sounds like your doing just fine
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I'm successful every time I hunt, successful in getting out the door and going hunting. Thats enough to keep me happy You are doing fine

Remember that you are hunting in two of the N Island’s toughest habitats.

I know a couple of guys local to me who hunt the Kaimais frequently, and have done for probably 25 years plus. One from each side. They get a deer roughly one in every two trips I guess? Sometimes a deer every trip for a while, then a dry spell.

One hunts with a deer dog, the other doesn’t. What they have in common is that they seem to hunt the exact same areas every time.

Talking to them about this, it is because they have a highly detailed knowledge of the terrain, deer trails, clearings, slips and vantage points. I have not asked to go with them and nor has it been offered, because I know that they guard this knowledge jealously. But I have seen the one guy’s GPS screen and whilst it was impossible to glean where it was in the ranges, it was absolutely packed with routes and waypoints. And I also know that he bought some very high resolution aerial photography from one of the mapping companies awhile back, for finding small slips and working out how to get to a good overwatch position.

What I’m saying is that the knowledge built up of these hunting areas has taken them years to amass. Their access points are highly unlikely to be the standard DOC walking trials. I am 99% certain that the one guy accessing from near Katikati is going through private land and then up an improbably steep climb before topping out well away from others.

Keep on going mate, and fastidiously record what you see / smell / here, where and when.
    7mmsaum, tetawa, Puffin and 7 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Hunt less and look more

Most young guys do far to much hunting and not enough looking.
    Watch the wind
    Look at where its cold and warm and where you would be if you were a deer

When you do see an animal just stop and watch it for a change, you will learn a lot more from a live deer than a dead one.

Like Mathias, Im successful every hunt, cant recall my last unsuccessful hunt. But I dont shoot much tho. Sounds to me like you're pretty successful already, you've had a good number of days in the bush, you've seen animals, you're still alive, and you've been in on 2 kills. And me thinks you're way more successful than many guys, cos your wife is your hunting' buddy! Keep it up, its not all about the kill.

Took me over a year for my first one. Have probably been out over 60 times and have only shot 4 deer
    Steve123 and Pixie Z like this.

But I am trying to Bush stalk and train a dog at the same time. Don’t so much slip watching

got my first deer first time out ( i was 14) , then it took 2 1/2 years to get the second one.
    i still remember the old bats (mums) face when i came home with the first, she to this day believes meat comes from a supermarket

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Like Mathias, Im successful every hunt, cant recall my last unsuccessful hunt. But I dont shoot much tho. Sounds to me like you're pretty successful already, you've had a good number of days in the bush, you've seen animals, you're still alive, and you've been in on 2 kills. And me thinks you're way more successful than many guys, cos your wife is your hunting' buddy! Keep it up, its not all about the kill.
    I agree - love the fact that my wife gets up at 4am when she'd rather sleep in late and comes out with me. Slowly working on getting her to stay in the bush - will start with a hut over summer and go from there. I love a day in the bush, the meat is really a bonus, I asked as my wife joked to me on Saturday that there's clearly only 1 deer in the Kaimais, it shits a lot and is really good at hiding - or we really suck as hunters

Used to hunt the kaimais myself, its real tiger country and you will need to accumulate data over time to increase your chances of regular contact,just keep plugging way and it will happen.how ever spring is near the waipaikahi valley offers good spring hunting grab sleeping bag and do an over nighter,i would wait till November though there are plenty of access points but if you are after a handy hunt try waipaikahi rd road end.all the best.
    Shadowsol likes this.
    If you think the grass is greener over the fence,it might be due to the leaking septic tank.

Short answer,cheat and get a thermal spotter

Take your time and learn the country where your hunting up the kaimais. Once you find out where the deer are they will usually be in the same place and then you can start figuring out what time of day they are there and carry on from there. Dont get caught up thinking only hunt morning/evening- hunt all day the deer are always in the bush I encounter most of mine between 10am-2pm in the kaimais
    stevodog, dannyb and Shadowsol like this.