Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    TJM

Hunt after the r

Been itching to get out again for a day hunt, had to work yesterday but the forecast was looking good for today.rang my mate and decided to drive down to a spot i haven't hunted for ten years but have been a bit reluctant as i haven't got my full hunting fitness back after a season of fishing. This particular spot is on te edge of the Kawekas and used to hold large numbers of reds before the helicopter hunting nearly decimated them.Since those days the Sika have nearly taken over and some good heads have been taken in recent years there.We drove down this morning and As I predicted the weather was good except a bit windy in places.The slog up the hill was testing as the scrub had overgrown a bit since the last time we were there and it was still steep all the way to the top. A few quick breathers on the way up and we made it to the native proper. Once there the original track of sorts was there, my old deer culler mate and I had cut it about ten years ago as the fern had over grown it from the culling days.The last time I was there the odd helicopter was still predating the slips in the mornings and evenings but it seems they have stopped now.There used to be many grassy slips but they have all but grown over probably because the reds are fewer now.Now its pretty late in the season now and I didn't expect to hear any animals roaring, may be a Sika but not a red and especially as we had arrived to the hot spots late in the morning.The ground was still wet from the deluge the night before so staling was easy and the wind was blowing from the south west and into our faces.Suddenly I heard a good moan,, a red deer roaring?? surely not, may be a hunter but it was too realistic for that.We headed down the side of one of the valleys in the general direction and another couple of grunts and a moan.I let out a bit of a read moan and we listened again.15 mins later another bit of a grunt and some timber thrashing, we were close now.I spotted a fresh piece of timer that had been used to sharpen antlers.I was aware that we didn't have the luxery of time so we had to move quickly to try and get a result.It went a bit quiet then out the corner of our eyes we saw the tell tale white antler tips then the big body of a red stag move down and across.We couldn't get a clear shot and I told my mate not to shoot.I got him to move towards it slowly and then the wind changed direction and it was ll over!!What started as an exploration trip provided a bit of excitement and also proved that the odd stag is still active. We hi tailed it back to the tops and then down hill all the way to the car.

Name:  IMG_2623.JPG
Views: 455
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2622.JPG
Views: 443
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2624.JPG
Views: 534
Size:  40.7 KB

Great
    Dan M

Sounded like an exciting few moments there. Good reason to get the fitness back earlier next year

Unlucky mate, that would have got the adrenalin pumping.......back again next week??????
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

TJM
    Would love to,, might have to go fishing unfortunately