Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you do?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't at all

19 38.78%
  • I do but am careful about the animals I take, checking them carefully before eating them.

7 14.29%
  • I'm not bothered at all

6 12.24%
  • Depends on which pesticides and if they have been ground laid or aerial dropped

18 36.73%
  • Other (post what)

1 2.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hunting in areas where pesticides have been layed

Question Hunting in areas where pesticides have been layed

What is your take on hunting (deer in particular) in areas that have been treated with pesticides?
    Last edited by phillipgr; 28-10-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Re: Hunting in areas where pesticides have been layed

Give it a while and get back in there. Dont take dogs. Often a good chance as the hunting pressure dies right off and the green nasty cant get them all

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

i hate that green stuff with a passion
    Hunt4life and southernredneck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
    Give it a while and get back in there. Dont take dogs. Often a good chance as the hunting pressure dies right off and the green nasty cant get them all

Cool! You don't think there is any chance of taking an animal that has recently ingested and would be dangerous to eat?

I can't say because I have never hunted anywhere 1080 has been dropped.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Re: Hunting in areas where pesticides have been layed

Thats why you give it a while say a month. Very unlikely they will have a chew on something a month after baiting. Its secondary poisoning of your dog thats the hard one to judge when is enough time i found remenance two years after a drop.

I give it a couple of months for aerial 1080
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I'm inclined to look at how recently it was done ,rain fall since & animal numbers in the area.
    If there was a low population before probably not worth while hunting but DOC isn't going to dictate
    where I can & can't hunt .They are still public servants in my view ,we pay their wages .
    southernredneck likes this.
    Gun control means using both hands

R93

Hunting in areas where pesticides have been layed

200mm of rain or 2 months (may be 4) which ever comes first.
    Apparently that makes animals fit to be recovered for consumption/sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Looking out the window this morning i see thay are starting the Perth 1080 drop.

[QUOTE=CreepingDeath;53262]Thats why you give it a while say a month. Very unlikely they will have a chew on something a month after baiting. Its secondary poisoning of your dog thats the hard one to judge when is enough time i found remenance two years after a drop.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOT

To think you are safe from poisoning after a month or two would be a grave mistake . You would be taking a risk after 10 months , You are welcome to ask the guy that went to Green Lane hospital after eating liver from a deer . A lot of poison hang up in the trees and only drop after large gust of wind

[QUOTE=kawekakid;241421]
    Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
    Thats why you give it a while say a month. Very unlikely they will have a chew on something a month after baiting. Its secondary poisoning of your dog thats the hard one to judge when is enough time i found remenance two years after a drop.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOT

To think you are safe from poisoning after a month or two would be a grave mistake . You would be taking a risk after 10 months , You are welcome to ask the guy that went to Green Lane hospital after eating liver from a deer . A lot of poison hang up in the trees and only drop after large gust of wind
    You be dreaming if you think you taking a risk after 10 months. Fact is after heavy rain most 1080 is gone, esp after a few downpours. Pellets arnt going to stay up a tree long, wind and rain will soon fix that and deer dont take to 1080 very well and dont survive long if eaten a pellent.Differnt story with dogs as eating dead possums etc can last along time. I be more than happy to hunt any 1080 block after a 6 weeks if it had a few rains.And i doubt the guy who ate a liver wasnt well because of 1080. Alsorts can make someone unwell eating such a thing and certainly wasnt 1080 posioningafter 10 months thats for real.

[QUOTE=deer243;241500]
    Quote Originally Posted by kawekakid View Post

You be dreaming if you think you taking a risk after 10 months. Fact is after heavy rain most 1080 is gone, esp after a few downpours. Pellets arnt going to stay up a tree long, wind and rain will soon fix that and deer dont take to 1080 very well and dont survive long if eaten a pellent.Differnt story with dogs as eating dead possums etc can last along time. I be more than happy to hunt any 1080 block after a 6 weeks if it had a few rains.And i doubt the guy who ate a liver wasnt well because of 1080. Alsorts can make someone unwell eating such a thing and certainly wasnt 1080 poisoning after 10 months thats for real.
    I know more about 1080 poisoning and the damage that can and is done by this poison. you believe what you like but the bulshit that is told that it is safe after rain is wrong . 1080 baits have water repellants used to protect the from rain - Suger to make them sweet ,that's why the bees are taking them back to the hives, Crayfish taking the baits and eating them, the fish and eels eating crayfish . If you knew anything, after all the 1080 kill all animals . birds. insects.fish and bush crawling bugs and leave the bush dead .10,000 kiwis people support and supply all this information all around the country so believe what you like

And for the record if you are poison DO NOT GET BLOOD TEST ----- [ GET A FAT TEST DONE ] ALL TOXINS YOU RECIEVE IN YOU BODY ARE FOUND THERE .

I dislike 1080 as much as you, you have no arguement with me there. But the poll is asking whats your take on hunting deer in a area after a 1080 drop. Stating that you wouldnt risk it for 10 months is a joke thou. The fact is 1080 pellets break down with water rather quickly. Ive hunted and been in the bush after many 1080 drops over the years. After some rain and say 6 weeks i havnt seen one single pellent ever of 1080. After some heavy rains and some weeks they are long gone and certainly no risk at all a deers going to have 1080 in its system 10 months after. A deer cant handle 1080 and soon will be dead if it ate any, so any deer running around after a few weeks is going to be fine to eat. 1080 is a pretty bad posion but its interestingto hear the stories of the guys who did the first drops of the shit in the past. They didnt always wear safety gear and had 1080 powder all over their hands then ate there sandwiches for lunch like one person recalled. Hes not dead, still healthy years later. Surely may not be good for him but eating meat of a deer thats health running around after a 1080 is not a big risk,and no risk months later thats for sure.

res
    [QUOTE=kawekakid;241544][QUOTE=deer243;241500]

I know more about 1080 poisoning

That's a hell off a claim to make unless you personally know the guy.
    And then you go on a rant?

1080 sux,we all know that-even the folks who are for it dislike it

Eating liver? Of course that's going to retain toxins longer that flesh-that's the livers job.

Maybe you would wait longer,but with some common sense,and understanding of 1080 and how it works/brakes down, I personally would hunt.and eat after the recommended amount of rain-with a little buffer if it's heavy bush. Even if a deer is about to die from 1080 you would have to eat the whole thing very fast (excluding fat for the sake of fat, or the liver) to have much effect-if you know as much as you claim you must know that the lethal dose for a deer is much less for a human. A dog in the other hand practically only has to sniff 1980 to be fucked.
    And it does not stay in you forever,so unless you eat contaminated food every meal you are unlikely to have any long term effects.

1080 sux,I hate the shit with a passion but when people misrepresent it we don't help our case for changing its use.

Putting folks off hunting with scaremongering is not doing them any favours.

Maybe give precautions,eg don't take a dog,don't eat liver,if you worried about a deer-like you think it has had a non lethal dose then check it's organs for signs of 1080 induced breakdown etc
    deer243 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk