Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By phillipgr
  • 3 Post By Spook
  • 2 Post By Scouser
  • 2 Post By nelpop
  • 2 Post By sometimes
  • 1 Post By 7mmwsm
  • 3 Post By jakewire

Thread: Hunting with a Dog

Hunting with a Dog

After the grilling poor old Barnes Lady is recieving over her exceptional stag, I have been wondering if people consider a trophy less of a trophy if the hunter hunts with a dog?
    I have heads on my wall which were shot with the aid of a dog. And my dog has always added spice to my hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    After the grilling poor old Barnes Lady is recieving over her exceptional stag, I have been wondering if people consider a trophy less of a trophy if the hunter hunts with a dog?
    I have heads on my wall which were shot with the aid of a dog. And my dog has always added spice to my hunting.
    An indicator dog? I don't think any less of the trophy. Running down Rusa with a pack of dogs however, different story.

It becomes a credit to your ability not only as a hunter, but a handler too.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

I believe the technology is out there now to fit to a dog a rifle, gps, and camera that can all be remotely controlled and fired by me sitting in my car at the road end...I've just got to get it together...be great on those dirty shitty days...I just have to work on the retrieve...if between us we get a trophy I will mount it in his kennel.
    Gapped axe, Scouser and subs like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    I believe the technology is out there now to fit to a dog a rifle, gps, and camera that can all be remotely controlled and fired by me sitting in my car at the road end...I've just got to get it together...be great on those dirty shitty days...I just have to work on the retrieve...if between us we get a trophy I will mount it in his kennel.
    Hell yes, sounds great. Put me down for one when you put an order in.

Oh jeese, hi 7mmwsm you just know i have to give my opinion......Humans have hunted with dogs ever since they controlled them....big YES from me, as its a 'natural' hunting aid, that if not controlled properly can lose you just as many, if not more!!!!!
    EeeBees and kingstoncowboy like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I think using a dog to indicate is fine. What i do object to is using a pack of dogs fitted with GPS collar and letting them run wild until the find or run down a deer. This in my veiw isnt hunting and a trophy head taken this way isnt really worthy of being call a trophy.
    kingstoncowboy and Scouser like this.

I would not go hunting without my two. Indicating dogs are fine but using a pack to bail or have them chase them to shoot them as they run past is not very sporting
    Twoshotkill and Scouser like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Oh jeese, hi 7mmwsm you just know i have to give my opinion......Humans have hunted with dogs ever since they controlled them....big YES from me, as its a 'natural' hunting aid, that if not controlled properly can lose you just as many, if not more!!!!!
    I like your sense of humour.
    Scouser likes this.

I like your sense of humour.
    Cheers mate!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I hunt with a dog, I always have, sometimes I think he or she has just been out for the walk, most times he/she has put me onto something.
    Over the years I've probably lost more bringing on a dog , but heck I just love it when it pays off.

I have never liked hunting with a with a pack. Running after a dedicated pig dog pack chasing a single pig has not held any attraction for me.
    That's not a criticism, that is a personal preference.

I have no aversion to my dog hanging onto a wounded animal until I get there and despatch it , so the point I make above seems obvious.

Love working with a dog and will do so until I am unable.
    Last edited by jakewire; 11-04-2014 at 09:52 PM.
    mikee, Scouser and sometimes like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?