Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Hunting With Hearing Aids

Hunting With Hearing Aids

I’ve finally conceded to my deafness. Too much shooting without ear protection especially with shotguns has left me no choice but to get hearing aids. Now I can hear the birds, leaves crunching under my feet, music sounds amazing and I don’t have to ask people 3 times what they just said to me.

Does anyone here wear hearing aids whilst hunting? I’m curious as to how they go. It will be nice to hear the sounds of the bush again but are they ok to use when actually shooting at something. BTW all my rifles are suppressed.

Cheers

Gilly

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by gilly View Post
    I’ve finally conceded to my deafness. Too much shooting without ear protection especially with shotguns has left me no choice but to get hearing aids. Now I can hear the birds, leaves crunching under my feet, music sounds amazing and I don’t have to ask people 3 times what they just said to me.

Does anyone here wear hearing aids whilst hunting? I’m curious as to how they go. It will be nice to hear the sounds of the bush again but are they ok to use when actually shooting at something. BTW all my rifles are suppressed.

Cheers

Gilly
    Only for poaching

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Pardon

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    ANOTHERHUNTER likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

You can't sense direction slight soukds are coming from with the ones that st outside on the backs ofcyour ears and also they are very eadily wiped off in the scrub. The ones worn inside the ear give fair directional indication of sounds. Both sorts can't tolerate getting wet. Most them have an automatic cutout of loud gunfire noise.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Pardon

Funny guy Mr Graham!!! I will be able to hear your nocturnal sleeping bag rustlings now!!

Funny guy Mr Graham!!! I will be able to hear your nocturnal sleeping bag rustlings now!!
    Lol

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    No experience, but surely you could flick it off before taking a shot?

Alternatively, I'd be bloody surprised if the technology wasn't integrated to attenuate dangerously loud noise...
    You could but by the time you took them out to turn them off I think the deer probably will have cleared off.

Ive got pair of shut off earmuffs...when I wear them I can hear stuff from miles away,the birds twittereing etc BUT no sense of direction as they mono not stereo.... a sterio set MIGHT be better option for you when hunting...I must dig gorse out of pockets and get a pair one day....

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Pardon

I tell ya that shit gets real old real quick when you tell people you have a hearing loss. I should know I’ve bring at 50% all my life. I’m no snowflake but that will grind my gears PDQ. I stopped telling people for that reason.

I have only started wear hearing aids in the last 5 months. I’ll wear them after work ( when I remember to put them in). It sucks taking them out at night when you go to bed. It hits home how much loss a person has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    You can't sense direction slight soukds are coming from with the ones that st outside on the backs ofcyour ears and also they are very eadily wiped off in the scrub. The ones worn inside the ear give fair directional indication of sounds. Both sorts can't tolerate getting wet. Most them have an automatic cutout of loud gunfire noise.
    Mine are reasonably flash. They won’t cut out a extreme spike in noise. I’ve earmuffs for that.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    I tell ya that shit gets real old real quick when you tell people you have a hearing loss. I should know I’ve bring at 50% all my life. I’m no snowflake but that will grind my gears PDQ. I stopped telling people for that reason.

I have only started wear hearing aids in the last 5 months. I’ll wear them after work ( when I remember to put them in). It sucks taking them out at night when you go to bed. It hits home how much loss a person has.

It’s ok mate. Hamish is one of my best cobbers. He’s just poking a bit of shit at me. It’s what we do.

But I agree. I didn’t realise how deaf I was. It pissed my kids off, my missus and I didn’t realise the cognitive strain it put me under. I’d be exhausted after work...the strain of listening to people took its toll. I thought I couldn’t hack it but once I got my hearing sides it made a massive difference.
    Last edited by gilly; 16-07-2020 at 08:58 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I've had them for the past 30 years and are a real pain hunting I used to have inner ear ones but when you get hot and sweaty they get blocked and won't work.
    I now have behind ear with a small tube into your ear they are better but are easy flicked out if you take a hat of top off.
    And like others have said it's very hard to tell direction, so I just go without while hunting.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

I’ve had hearing aids for years as a result of ongoing middle ear issues and multiple operations on them.

Very briefly,

There difficult in terms of trying to pick the direction a sound is coming from - especially in the bush when you usually hear the animal approach before you see it.

There a real pain in the arse wearing them when you’re working hard, and the sweat is pouring off you (my insurance company loves me)

There a huge pain in the arse with feedback from wind and when your head is in close proximity to objects – this can be mitigated somewhat by your audiologist and how they are programmed.

I’ve recently had another operation on my ears where they took my whole middle ear out and closed up my left ear completely. I now have a bone bridge where the hearing aid clips on and off via a magnet behind the ear and transmits the sound through the bone. Same issues as above….I don’t bother wearing them when hunting anymore and miss out on a huge amount as I’m practically deaf without them.

I’m not selling this am I?
    25 /08 IMP and Micky Duck like this.

It’s ok mate. Hamish is one of my best cobbers. He’s just poking a bit of shit at me. It’s what we do.

But I agree. I didn’t realise how deaf I was. It pissed my kids off, my missus and I didn’t realise the cognitive strain it put me under. I’d be exhausted after work...the strain of listening to people took its toll. I thought I couldn’t hack it but once I got my hearing sides it made a massive difference.
    Yes I read down n figured you must know each other. Im past taking that sort of comment now, guess the older I get the less time I have for crap like that. Yes the difference between wearing and not wearing aids is....massive.

Yes I get you on that.

I can’t believe what I can hear now. I often think there is something wrong with my truck, or my dishwasher or the washing machine but it’s just it’s normal noise. I didn’t realise my heat pump made a beeping noise and or how much I had been lip reading people...often with embarrassing consequences.
    Micky Duck likes this.