Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Hunting on Horseback

Question Hunting on Horseback

Hey all Cowboys/Cowboy wannabes.

Does any one here hunt on horseback in the Central Otago area?

We have Heaps of places to go for dear around me but was wondering if People are doing it round here?
    Not sure if it would be a help or a hindrance having to mind the nag while trying to hunt, I've been told the dear are far less likely to spoke As the see the horse and not the rider.

Any advice or well earned wisdom is very welcome.
    Looking to combine my hobbies more than finding a easy way to hunt.

Regards,
    William

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Hey all Cowboys/Cowboy wannabes.

Does any one here hunt on horseback in the Central Otago area?

We have Heaps of places to go for dear around me but was wondering if People are doing it round here?
    Not sure if it would be a help or a hindrance having to mind the nag while trying to hunt, I've been told the dear are far less likely to spoke As the see the horse and not the rider.

Any advice or well earned wisdom is very welcome.
    Looking to combine my hobbies more than finding a easy way to hunt.

Regards,
    William
    1st - make sure horse is introduced to gun fire
    We used them back in 70-80's mainly for packing out (and gear in) but there were a F-ups - like gear spread 1 mile back towards home from a spooked Nag that should not have been there

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    1st - make sure horse is introduced to gun fire
    We used them back in 70-80's mainly for packing out (and gear in) but there were a F-ups - like gear spread 1 mile back towards home from a spooked Nag that should not have been there
    Bees and wasps are another issue.
    I can't ride for shit but have done a fair few hours on horseback hunting overseas.
    Usually towing 1 or 2 pack horses.
    I have had 2 unexpected rodeos due to them being spooked by bees or wasps that took all day to rectify. Panyards, ropes, personal gear and saddles strewn for miles.
    Panyards strewn about with food in it are dangerous because of predators liking the smell of bacon and meat

Nothing worse than riding for 8 or 9 hours at a leisurely pace in tight country and your horse turns into phar lap at the top of the tree line in steep country. Fuckers can fly when spooked.
    We never discharged a firearm anywhere near them.
    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 22-02-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    Mooseman and Moa Hunter like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Used them a lot during the late 1960's, they are great IF they have been handled around the hunting scene since young and used to blood and gunfire. Nothing like a 15km walk back to their paddock when they do a runner and you have a few deer hanging up that need a ride.

still alot of people using horses up the east coast from gisborne. they can go any where they want and don't need to cut fences like they do for quad bikes
    tetawa and Moa Hunter like this.

Old man hunts from his horse a bit, western saddle, Stetson hat, lever action and all haha. Hes not far from you (Danseys Pass) can put you in touch if you wanna pick his brain.
    BRADS and Sideshow like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

SiB
    I hunted the maungatuas on horse for reds and the odd pig.

As the guys have said, you must have a horse that is completely, thoroughly and utterly bomb proof. I shot from the saddle on occasions, on a dropped rein, but that horse was exceptional.

If you’re in Tussock country you need a horse that does know to look for holes in the ground. Some are oblivious

Lots of work getting the horse used to blood and the unexpected noise of gunshot. I certainly wouldn’t even consider it an option with an unknown horse, full stop.
    tetawa likes this.

Big plus on a well-trained horse! I have used them a bit in the past and you can definitely get closer to deer on horseback. Make sure that your horse will not be spooked by putting a carcass on it, especially a stag! I have seen one rear up, lash out with its hooves and then bolt, never to be seen until the next day back at the yards with a very battered saddle underneath it and no bridle. I would me more inclined to use a horse to get to the right area then leave it somewhere safe while you hunt on foot.

Lawrence of Arabia wrote about his first battle when riding a camel. He was racing down a hillside and fired his revolver and the World suddenly went black. When he came around he discovered that he had shot his camel in the back of the head!
    johnd and 257weatherby like this.

Banned
    Are donkey more reliable as a pack animal?

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Mavora Lakes is worth a look
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Are donkey more reliable as a pack animal?
    No, a mule is.

The horses/mules we used in Alaska were great. I hadn't ridden a horse much so after 4 hours in the saddle I could hardly stand up. Once my moose was on the ground and cut up they certainly earned their keep carting the meat back to the airstrip. Used a horse back in the mid 70 s a bit it was a good pack horse and carried about three or four average sized deer out for us each trip, she was well trained and once on the track out all you needed to do was follow behind.

I have a Donkey here to but is stubborn as a .....Donkey haha. My Mare is pretty good, have shot rabbits around the property off her and she doesn't like it but tolerates it. She is a big girl so can easily carry a deer weight wise. Before I got her she had been used for pig hunting.

Yeah that would be great, he's just over the hll from me near Clyde, He will also know the country better.

I heard Lamas are the next best thing for packing stuff and hiking with them in the mountain.
    Sideshow and stevodog like this.