Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hunting kaimais from katikati side

Hunting kaimais from katikati side

Want to take the pup up the kaimais tomorrow, is there access from grammer road like the topo maps show? Or any other suggestions as to which roads give access up there? Ive been up thompsons before and id like to avoid it and try somewhere new if possible.

Cheers guys!

Mate never accessed via Grammer Road note: Deer numbers low north of Katikati prime area Thompsons to Whakamara Plateau
    Don_coco__ likes this.

Wrights rd also has access and deer, plenty of trampers though but you can get a far way back on the long loop then peel into the bush from there.

Awesome cheers

Why not take the Mt Eliza track from the Thompson's Road car park?
    Bonecrusher likes this.

I've found Whaka has been absolutely thrashed over the years. I've been told the north-south tracks are a good place to walk around but I've never been myself.

Fellas, just a heads up that since the opening of the Hauraki Rail Trail, and the associated attractions around Waihi, the walking tracks in the northern and central Kaimais are way way busier than they used to be. I know cos I live there! Have been speaking to the DOC guys who have been upgrading all the tracks and there are plans to further increase the foot traffic in the area with more hit upgrades.

If you're thinking of hunting the Kaimais, it will pay for you to get well off the beaten track in the central areas. Dilly dallying around the main walking tracks is a waste of time.
    mucko and StagRyan like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Fellas, just a heads up that since the opening of the Hauraki Rail Trail, and the associated attractions around Waihi, the walking tracks in the northern and central Kaimais are way way busier than they used to be. I know cos I live there! Have been speaking to the DOC guys who have been upgrading all the tracks and there are plans to further increase the foot traffic in the area with more hit upgrades.

If you're thinking of hunting the Kaimais, it will pay for you to get well off the beaten track in the central areas. Dilly dallying around the main walking tracks is a waste of time.
    30 people in the waiorongomai Valley just before Christmas. Insane. Albeit you can't really hunt that valley as its so steep but still.

It's great to see that ordinary people are enjoying the bush but damn. Like queen Street.
    StagRyan likes this.

Went up wright road and up to the end of the loop, the bush in there is terrible! Thick steep shit. Ill go check out the tops one day but anything below that you guys can have it ��

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Went up wright road and up to the end of the loop, the bush in there is terrible! Thick steep shit. Ill go check out the tops one day but anything below that you guys can have it ��
    Good stag country.

An off the track wander in 28*C for myself & the dog 1/1/2020 plenty of fluids lost and taken on board a catchment that is too cold in the winter to bother with but ideal this time of year.
    Some good slips to scope out though its a long haul out of there with an animal on board
    Dog indicated an animal in the river photo though the wind was extremely fickle gusting 360 degrees at times typical Kaimai's so no visual on my part. Still a good 6 hours on the hill is time well spent

Name:  005.JPG
Views: 714
Size:  3.17 MB

Name:  010.JPG
Views: 679
Size:  3.25 MB

Name:  008.JPG
Views: 694
Size:  3.15 MB

Name:  009.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  3.14 MB
    StagRyan likes this.

Name:  2019-06-03 15.46.23.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  3.22 MB

Nice work bonecrusher,i ended up in that thick flaxbush type shit and just couldnt move. No gametrails to follow

The Kaimais is terrible to hunt now. Since they've upgraded the huts (great huts) the foot traffic there is just insane.
    Te Rereatukahia hut is always full, always one or two hunters as well.

MSL
    Went up top last night, reasonable amount of sign around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk