Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hunting kaimais from katikati side

Went for a walk up the Whakamarma end last week and managed to see one as it bolted. A lot of people in the area and the deer are touchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutty View Post
    Went for a walk up the Whakamarma end last week and managed to see one as it bolted. A lot of people in the area and the deer are touchy.
    When you say "a lot of people in the area" are you meaning hunters or trampers?...if trampers, then they are easy to get away from as they tend to stay on tracks.

Both judging by the vehicles in the carpark.

I lived in Katikati for 30 years. Grammar road is mostly pvt land and the owners have been plagued by hunters coming in from the back. Trail cameras are now installed to take pics of offending transgressors. Similar issues up Work Rd, where locals have, on occasion put tractor and trailer across the upper road before flushing out ‘poachers’. If I still lived there, I would have a look round Mt Elisa, near the big grass clearings. I would also go in at Upland road, walk right to the end of the Nth/Sth track as it heads south and branches off. At that branch, go straight ahead thru scrubby stuff, then climb one of two spurs to the top. Take water before the climb and scope the large slips up there.