Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By Chelsea
  • 1 Post By matto1234
  • 4 Post By The bomb
  • 2 Post By Chelsea
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Nick-D

Thread: Hunting with kids on public land

Hunting with kids on public land

We always hunt on public land, our 5yo likes to come with us, I take all the steps I can think of to keep him safe, blue and orange colours, we try and stay in fairly open areas, if we see other hunters close by we usually leave the area. Safety first.
    We haven’t gone out since March, so I’m dying to get out again hopefully this weekend. We don’t have any family we can rely on to look after our son so he will come with us but I always get really anxious taking him out. More so after we camped out and had some young drunk guys flying around spotlighting, they came past 5mins after we just come back out the bush. We will be going out during the day/ arvo.
    Just wondering how busy things are at this time of year on public land more so the Kaimanawa area?
    MB and Been Upto like this.

Stop stressing and go hunting. You are already talking all the precautions that you can and there will always be other hunters out there. Just head further down the road or in the other direction
    Chelsea likes this.

I stay at the old mill clearing on Clements with the family a lot,never been worried,they make enough noise there is no mistaking them for a deer,have a spotlight ready if you hear vehicle coming with spotlighters on board light them up first,they get the message and piss off.

It’s hard not to stress about his safety. We almost lost him after a fall at 2 so I want to do what I can to keep him safe without wrapping him in bubble wrap and leaving him at home. Especially since he loves going hunting. But like you say we are taking all the precautions we can so won’t stress too much.
    Moa Hunter and NakiNewbie like this.

you are probably safer out there than walking to the shops or driving home from supermarket...good on you for being concerned but get out and enjoy life. some warehouse led solar lights around camping area are always a good thing.... bright flashy ones even better if seen from road in rear veiw mirror.

Good on you for getting him out Chelsea. Really cool. Winter is the quietest time on clements although it can still see a few hunters on nice weekends.

It's no to bad for spotlighters in there ime. Winter is not so critical on ealry mornings late nights for hunting so coming back during daylight hours will help with visibility.

If you are worried about spotlighters afterdark having a well lit camp will help or alternatively could look at staying at sika Lodge?

I certainly u derstand the worry, I've had a spotlight run over me up the umakari end and it certainly isn't a fun feeling.
    Chelsea likes this.

You're doing everything right already by the sounds of it. You're more likely to have a car accident on the way to the bush. Get amongst it and enjoy your time with him.

My boys loving coming hunting on public land with me. They were blaze camo, and stay by my side. Also, I tend to go where I have seen very very few people. My kids are 5,6 and 8