Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Hunting in Namibia

Hunting in Namibia

Hello all

Not to sure if this post belongs in here or another category, but none the less.

I moved to Namibia to live with friends in early December last year, being a very keen young hunter I couldn't wait to see what the country had to offer. I soon found out out this country had a LOT to offer.
    I arrived in the capital from where I live four aways so the day after my flight we drove to where I am now, Swakopmund.
    Along side the road, and I mean literally on the side of the road I saw countless Warthogs, Oryx, Kudu, Springbok, Dik Dik, Baboons and a few bird species. After this exciting encounter on just my first day in the country I couldn't wait to go hunting for some African game.
    Well a few weeks passed and nothing, until the family I was staying with was going to a farm. Now this farm was not like farms back home, no grass or hundreds of cattle. Instead the owner has it solely for the purpose of having game and enjoying them on his property, which is over 13'000 hectares. When we arrived on the farm, as we were driving down the long drive way the first animal we were to see were 9 giraffe, now not many people can say they've seen wild giraffes in Africa!
    To cut the story shorter, we went on a game drive on the Sunday. After a few hours of driving and watching game, our group of 9 decided we'd have a shooting competition at some cans and plastic bottles. After hitting all what was asked of me with the .22 hornet they decided to see if I could hit the lid of the bottle from around 25m standing shot, but the bet was that if I could hit they would allow me to hunt something on their property. This was a huge opportunity as they only take two animals from the property for themselves each year.
    Anyway, after a few deep exhales I squeezed the trigger with the sights on the lid of the bottle. I'd hit it.
    After a few congrats we quickly spotted a small herd of Springbok on the horizon which I was eager to get in pursuit of. Armed with just the .22 hornet the shot was going to have be well placed in order to drop it.
    We drove as close as we could, about 70m out. I waited for the Springbok to stop and turn sideways, sure enough it did and I placed the shot just behind the shoulder because of the angle it was on to.ensure it'd go through the engine room. With a large sigh of relief as I watched the animal drop in my sights, I was even more excited to get up close and hold my trophy.
    Now I know what you're thinking, hunting in Africa is all for the trophy head. But this animal was fully dressed out and hung just an hour later. The meat was the butchered and given out amongst us.
    So all in all, my first experience was amazing!
    Thank you very much for reading and i hope you enjoyed it!

Cheers
    P38, 7mmsaum, outdoorlad and 13 others like this.

Very nice, well done! You made me a little bit homesick reading that haha.
    Enjoy, Namibia is a fantastic country!
    heinnz likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Oh, and the surf fishing is phenomenal too!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Fantastic!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Very nice, well done! You made me a little bit homesick reading that haha.
    Enjoy, Namibia is a fantastic country!
    Tell me about it! *sigh*

Brilliant mate, well done.....take every opportunity that comes along....how long are you out there for....life?
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Excellent report,well done
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Awesome!!

Scribe
    Great story and a great looking animal.

I have shot a few deer with the Hornet. What would this animal have weighted gutted.

I grew up in Swakop, what a place!

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Sturgeon View Post
    Great story and a great looking animal.

I have shot a few deer with the Hornet. What would this animal have weighted gutted.

Springbok is usually 20 to 24kgs dressed, size of a big goat with long legs!

Ok for the Gamo then
    Tommy likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

P38
    Very Nice.

I'm jealous.

I'm sure there will be lots of Hunting yet to come.

Enjoy your time in Namibia and post some more reports.

Cheers
    Pete
    veitnamcam likes this.

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Springbok is usually 20 to 24kgs dressed, size of a big goat with long legs!
    Thanks 'spud' I had no idea really. I thought they looked a bit more solid than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Sturgeon View Post
    Thanks 'spud' I had no idea really. I thought they looked a bit more solid than that.
    Kudu, just a shade bigger
    Spudattack likes this.