Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Spook
  • 3 Post By Spook
  • 1 Post By Buck_Shot
  • 1 Post By kawekakid
  • 1 Post By Willie
  • 2 Post By DavidGunn

Thread: Hunting Thompsons Track

Hunting Thompsons Track

Anyone that has hunted this area got any advice about the place. Never been there so all help, as always, appreciated. (I would imagine the guru Spook will chime on somewhere, good bugger that he is)

Trying to find gradients of the walk in etc. As long as there is no bloody steps! For some reason I always pull left groin doing steps and limp out.

It also goes without saying that i am not after the spot X, however, should you find yourself in the most generous of moods i never say no

Cheers everyone and have a wonderful new year.
    Stay safe and may all your shots be damn accurate!
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Took half a dozen horses up there this morning, only went as far as the Pa site...there are a couple of guys cutting a track through the last of the slips today so it will be easy going for you...the track gradient is designed from the days of horse drawn vehicles so is very easy, only a bit of dodging rubbish over the multiple slips...two stags in velvet were seen out in the open on Boxing Day up there...I could PM you a bit more detail if interested...depends on what your stance is on velvet stags as to whether you smoke them over or not.
    veitnamcam, Willie and StagRyan like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Thompsons Track gradient Waikato side...carpark 105m ASL...Junction (top) 480m ASL...distance of approximately 7 km...so that's a gradient of what?...fucken near do it with a zimmer frame...if you go to the 100 acres (6 km up track) you will still be under 580 metres at the highest point.
    veitnamcam, Willie and StagRyan like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Took half a dozen horses up there this morning, only went as far as the Pa site...there are a couple of guys cutting a track through the last of the slips today so it will be easy going for you...the track gradient is designed from the days of horse drawn vehicles so is very easy, only a bit of dodging rubbish over the multiple slips...two stags in velvet were seen out in the open on Boxing Day up there...I could PM you a bit more detail if interested...depends on what your stance is on velvet stags as to whether you smoke them over or not.
    I was just up there Spook, took the missus up for a run in the car and the little one. Had a wee yarn to one fella who was bringing home a quad bike. Easy as to find so will be trekking in at 4 tomorrow. Wondering what property yours was, his was the gate right at the start of the track. I thought your place was the earlier turn off, just seen the lovely graded road and remembered reading about how you were driving up and down it just like a kid with a new toy.

PM away Spook all info greatly appreciated. It certainly looks like more my pace so will definitely be in there more often from now on.

Walked to Thompsons from Tuahu on the 5TH and seen a stag in velvet who has potential so left him to harden up. Also saw a big sow with about 7-8 suckers trailing behind, so put my dog on a leash. Seen so meat animals which was a bugger, freezers getting low! Animals are definitely up there though

Yeti, I do believe there are no such animals in the kaimais
    Yeti likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Walked to Thompsons from Tuahu on the 5TH and seen a stag in velvet who has potential so left him to harden up. Also saw a big sow with about 7-8 suckers trailing behind, so put my dog on a leash. Seen so meat animals which was a bugger, freezers getting low! Animals are definitely up there though
    From what I have heard, the stags in the Kaimai's have shit heads anyway, so you may as well have shot it.

There had been shit heads in the Kaimais but a new breading line has have turn up . if you do you home work they are not hard to find . 290 D S is good but there is better
    Yeti likes this.

Was just up there last weekend. Spooked one early morning and it took off at a rate down the hill, was still not light so couldn't see bugger all. Other than that couldn't see any sign what so ever Also the loggers are in and had to politely ask to walk through where they were falling trees, bit of a scramble over and under some fallen trees on the track- not the wisest move but got me past and back to where i needed to be.
    Waikato side of the track is a bloody mess for sure.
    Damn site nicer a walk in than going up Wairere Falls that's for sure.
    StagRyan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kawekakid View Post
    There had been shit heads in the Kaimais but a new breading line has have turn up . if you do you home work they are not hard to find . 290 D S is good but there is better
    For there to be a new breeding line to have turned up, either a release or escape has taken place. The last escape I know of was several years ago when wap/red stags (two occasions, one each time) escaped from the deer killing works on the Tauranga/Hamilton highway near the summit. For a few years there where larger bodied deer running around but I have seen nothing over the last decade that suggests they made much impact on the herd.
    I don't think homework will find stags in the Kaimai's but legwork will.
    Yeti and StagRyan like this.

Was up there yesterday, went up as far as the crossing with the north south track from the Te Aroha side, pretty easy going but would definitely have preferred to be one of the blokes on a four wheeler. Still plenty of big divots in the road before the forestry area. Anyway camped up on the top, grass is lush, some of it has been rooted up by pigs, heard a shot on about 9 o'clock and had a friendly possum pestering me in the night. nice walk down today again a few motor bikers and the 4x4 club was getting ready to head up as I came out. Cheers to the bloke who gave me his lighter yesterday meant I was able to heat up a back country for dinner. Hope the shot I heard was a success.