Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By bigbear

Thread: Hunting trip?

Hunting trip?

Good day,

I am extremely excited to tell you that my family and I are planning a trip to your absolutely beautiful country in January 2021 (if COVID allows). I am an amateur hunter but with a skill and passion. I would like to do some bird hunting but I have no idea if that is possible? Do I need and what if so, permissions? How do I go about it? Is there anything I can from Poland (that is where we live). Also, I assume I won't be able to take my gun with me so are there any places I could rent an equipment or better yet sign up for a hunting trip? Organized hunting trip would make my mother feel better despite the fact she hates me having such a hobby. The area is not an issue because we are planning to travel around.
    Thank you and apologies for drowning you in questions.

MSL
    How old are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone but not forgotten
    January wouldn't be the best time to come for bird hunting, that is outside the legal season for waterfowl (ducks etc) and upland game birds (pheasant, quail).
    There are a few species that are classed as pests and can be hunted year-round e.g Canada geese.

jump on the intro part of the forum and tell us alittle bit about yourself.
    Makes people at ease if the have a bit of a background story or information about you.

cheers.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Most of our game bird shooting is during May till end of August. I don't hunt game birds but you need a licence which can be purchased at sports shops or through Fish and Game. If you hunt forestry blocks you will need a seperate permit to access these areas. There is good pheasant and quail hunting to be had in these areas. Hopefully somebody with more bird shooting experience can give you more information.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    How old are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @MSL they have to be older then 19 before you are aloud send pictures
    madmaori, 223nut and Jusepy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveVelma View Post
    Good day,

I am extremely excited to tell you that my family and I are planning a trip to your absolutely beautiful country in January 2021 (if COVID allows). I am an amateur hunter but with a skill and passion. I would like to do some bird hunting but I have no idea if that is possible? Do I need and what if so, permissions? How do I go about it? Is there anything I can from Poland (that is where we live). Also, I assume I won't be able to take my gun with me so are there any places I could rent an equipment or better yet sign up for a hunting trip? Organized hunting trip would make my mother feel better despite the fact she hates me having such a hobby. The area is not an issue because we are planning to travel around.
    Thank you and apologies for drowning you in questions.
    Bringing your gun to New Zealand is not too complicated. You need to apply for a visitors firearms license in advance. https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-se...import-permits
    Upon arrival to NZ you will have to declare the gun to custums/police. In addition having a European Firearms Pass makes things easier when travelling with a gun in/from Europe.

Obtaining a hunting license is definately the easiest part of hunting in NZ - no matter if bird hunting or big game hunting. But as mentioned before, bird hunting opportunities are very limited in January.

If you book an organized trip most guides/outfitters will let you borrow a gun. Also they will be happy to answer your questions.

If you are deciding on an unguided hunt I strongly recommand to prepare thouroughly if you want to be safe and successful. Study the DOC website carefully, know about all relevant legal issues, have proper gear, be aware of the fact that terrain and weather can be brutal. NZ offers some outstanding hunting with relatively few restrictions. Nevertheless nothing about it should be underestimated. Those who venture out unprepared will usually return empty-handed... or worse.
    Being from Europe myself, I have been been through this kind of preparation recently (no bird hunting but big game hunting, though) and I can tell you that it is a lot of work - but it is absolutely worth it. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I sure hope COVID will allow your trip... but to me that would seem like a miracle. NZ is keeping borders closed to maintain the privilege of living (almost) without COVID.

Is this another troll? The last one was from Poland too.

Jan 2021?
    Not gonna happen.