Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Hunting the Waipakihi River Aera

Help needed. Being from the far north and new to the hunting game, I have only hunted the National Park area and have done ok considering I already have my first deer.
    I was looking at going up the Waipakihi River area for around 5 days in about 2 weeks time.

Has anyone hunted the area and if so what is it like. ???? Thanks in advance...

Just like any public access points into Sika country, it can be very busy over the roar. Its a massive area, what way are you thinking of heading in? Can be accessed from Kaimanawa road, then over the Umakarikari range to the hut and upper reaches or over the Urchin to the Middle reaches or alternatively walking from Waipakahi road into the low/mid reaches.

I was thinking walking in from the Waipakahi road into the low to mid reaches. Is the hunting any good. ??

hunting is good as said above it is a large area. i was up there last week. during the roar can be v busy, and if you have heavy rain while up there be mindful of the river it is a huge catchment, and if not raining where u are, it may be further up so u will end up with that water. there is a bunch of private land not far up on the true left so u best give that a miss. there is a few camp sites at the road end but i would say now that most of them are taken. but if you have good weather and dont mind walking its a good place to be. takes aprox 20min drive from turangi. if you want to know anything else pm me if u want. i from the far north as well.

Yea mate hunting is good all the way up the river some areas a little better then others. If i were going from the road end i would aim to walk at least 3 hours to try and get past all the day trippers and most camps, unfortunately you will never get past everyone.

+ one on the rain, have been in the area when the river became uncrossable... make sure you take appropriate gear as its about as alpine as you can get in the Kaimanawas.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes was looking at walking in for half day then finding a good camp site. May PM you sakokid for a bit more info. Cheers John