Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Ideal .22-250 ammo

Ideal .22-250 ammo

Look for some advice on the best ammo for the .22-250 that will bring down a deer but also be able to shoot smaller game at fair distances

Any ammo that can shoot a deer will kill smaller game, so look for the best deer load and projectile combo that suits your rifle. I've been using 63gn Sierra's or 60gn Hornady's in front of 36.5gns of 2206H for years, seems to kill anything I point it at.

Bare in mind the greatest limitation of the 22 250 is its twist rate in regard to bullet selection. Heavier bullets wont stabilise. Ive found that the 69 gr is a great all rounder you just need a 1:9 twist.

dual load......its the best option as you are asking the two ends of the spectrum in preformance
    yes a good deer load will kill rabbits BUT if your shot drifts off a bit and you stick it in the guts (yes I know that no one wants to hear it but it has to be said) the deer load will pencil through and rabbit will crawl away to die slowly...a varmit load will plurry near cut it in half.end of story/rabbit
    in my humble .223 I have 50grn vmax/zmax loads for varmits and same everything else with a 50grn barnes TTSX projectile for bigger stuff,Ive used lots of different loads in rifle over the years but can happily just have these two....if I HAD to use only a single load for that rifle it would probably be something along the lines of hornadies great 55grn load,it opens a LITTLE on small stuff and holds together somewhat on bigger stuff.
    if your deer are fallow and you intend to head neck shoot you will get away (indeed be better served ) with a softer or varmit load....but dont try and shoulder shoot for many reasons.

hope that helps
    40mm and outlander like this.

Cheers mate really appreciate it

I had great success with the Sierra 55gr gameking with a 1 in 14 twist, heavier bullets (tried the Nosler partition) would not stabilise unfortunately. Drop sika and fallow out to 250m no problem. Reds I think need a head shot with this rifle.

While we are on to .22 250's I'm after a set of dies for my pal's first rifle. He has a stack of brass and Iv got the press etc...
    Anyone got any to trade?
    Use enough gun