Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Identifying Animals is the Bush?

Identifying Animals is the Bush?

Just wondering how you guys feel about this as yesterday my mate a i had an encounter with another couple of hunters in the Pureoras where we both roared each other up. I went in while my mate stayed back as I got closer the other guys yelled out. That’s all good but then we caught up for a chat and he says he saw a lot of steam through his SCOPE(from my mates roars) then our blaze clothing?! I didn’t think much of it at the time but after lightbulb moment “he had us in his sights!!” They were in full camo themselves.
    I personally do not raise my rifle unless i can see with my own eyes its an animal but I guess its better to be identified?
    Pete_D likes this.

NRT
    Rather be identified through scope then not at all especially with old eyes

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

R93
    Am I the only one that finds it startling that 2 different groups can't tell the difference between a real roar and a imitation one?
    Even electronic callers have a distinct tinny sound.

And yeah it would be the only scenario I would accept a rifle being pointed at me. Rather be confirmed I or anyone I am with is not an animal thru a scope than the alternative.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    tetawa, JoshC, BRADS and 4 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

This was made very clear in my firearms introduction course and probably the best bit of information that has stayed with me. It is is illegal to point a firearm at anyone, under any circumstances. (loaded or unloaded, bolt out or whatever) They even went as far to suggest that you should report the offender and it is very likely that will loose his license, no second chances. I agree a scoped rifle should never be used to search for or to identify game. Pretty bad practice if you ask me.
    Dawg, Strummer, mopheadrob and 1 others like this.

You are reliant on others unfortunately.
    I have been stalked and got close up on guys who really good with their roaring.
    The response is the thing.
    When I have yelled out to others the look of relief when they see you have as big a tree you can find between you and them is priceless.
    It is also compounded by having stags roaring.
    Like R93 checking me through a scope is preferable to having a shot sent in your direction.
    tetawa and Nighniz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_D View Post
    This was made very clear in my firearms introduction course and probably the best bit of information that has stayed with me. It is is illegal to point a firearm at anyone, under any circumstances. (loaded or unloaded, bolt out or whatever) They even went as far to suggest that you should report the offender and it is very likely that will loose his license, no second chances. I agree a scoped rifle should never be used to search for or to identify game. Pretty bad practice if you ask me.
    Pointing a rifle at someone intentionally and using the scope to identify an object you see and can't identify are two different things. There would be very few hunters out there who suddenly see something that looks out of place who haven't used their scope to attempt to identify the object.
    sako75, NRT, Steve123 and 2 others like this.

Yip I think I will stick to doing the roaring next time as you can definitely tell that I’m not a deer! But i have managed to fool the odd stag

Better they check than just fire, should use binds but most the time in the bush you don't have them. Scopes are ok so long as the trigger finger isn't near thetriggerand the rifle is safe. I have looked down the barrel of an irate dope grow and it isn't nice especially when they are as mad as this guy was. Bit different to a roar situation but the result could end the same, be safe out there everyone.
    tetawa and Pete_D like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_D View Post
    Wonder what the actual wording of the law is. I sometimes bore sight my rifle using lit windows a few km away. But I agree re bringing binoculars, no brainer really, protects from some snap decisions.
    Pete_D likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Am I the only one that finds it startling that 2 different groups can't tell the difference between a real roar and a imitation one?
    Even electronic callers have a distinct tinny sound.

And yeah it would be the only scenario I would accept a rifle being pointed at me. Rather be confirmed I or anyone I am with is not an animal thru a scope than the alternative.

I'm not a hugely experienced hunter, and don't often get out for more than a few days during the roar. So to answer your first point, I would probably be duped by any half decent imitation roar, and I think a lot of novice to half decent hunters would be in the same boat.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    More meplat, more better.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    I'm not a hugely experienced hunter, and don't often get out for more than a few days during the roar. So to answer your first point, I would probably be duped by any half decent imitation roar, and I think a lot of novice to half decent hunters would be in the same boat.
    Must be plainly obvious to just me then.
    Standing around a deer farm for half an hour might help.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Must be plainly obvious to just me then.
    Standing around a deer farm for half an hour might help.

Haha yip because we all have the time to stand around a deer farm! Maybe some people aren’t as fine tuned as yourself and even if you can tell the difference what’s stopping the other party from stalking you? Guess that’s the challenge of public land hunting in the north island.
    But this is getting away from my original question cheers

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighniz View Post
    Haha yip because we all have the time to stand around a deer farm! Maybe some people aren’t as fine tuned as yourself and even if you can tell the difference what’s stopping the other party from stalking you? Guess that’s the challenge of public land hunting in the north island.
    But this is getting away from my original question cheers
    The old time excuse.
    Has nothing to do with being in tune.
    Has everything to do with learning everything you possibly can about your quarry.
    Bloody glad I don't hunt up there this time of year.

tetawa, Sarvo and Paddy79 like this.

I've been looking through my scope with a loaded mag but not one in the chamber - first light looking over a clearing by a river - and had another hunter walk through the area I was looking at

Gun up, sling it over my shoulder and yell hello just a fraction of a second before breaking cover

No problem
    Nighniz likes this.

All good guys its the first time I’ve met up with anyone else in the bush so was just a new experience!
    308 likes this.