Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Sako851
  • 1 Post By Sako851
  • 1 Post By woods223

Thread: Indoor Deer/Game hunting competition

Wink Indoor Deer/Game hunting competition

Hey fellas.

A challenge for anyone willing,

The first to locate certain animal categories using the satellite feature on https://www.doc.govt.nz/map/index.ht...a-4908dcfb3337
    which is the DOC maps I will send a book prize.

If others have challenges they would like to post up go for it..

First Deer (Hunting permitted area) Prize : Big game hunting in New Zealand by Gary Joll.
    First Pig (Hunting permitted area) Prize : Wild Boar by Phillip Holden
    First Goat (Hunting permitted area) Prize : Small Game Hunting in New Zealand by Brag Parkes.

Other ideas could include some private land spotting, spotting trekkers/hunters on on the tracks etc.

Please be honest if you have already located an animal let us know in good fun..

Good luck!
    piwakawaka and Phil_H like this.

Screenshots and coordinates will need to be posted for the scrutiny of everyone! You may need a magnifying glass.. or a big screen!

If by hour 48 there are no entries we will include google maps satellite view with 3D mode to the competition. If you turn off globe view on google maps you can zoom in VERY close to slips..
    Last edited by Sako851; 23-06-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Hey @Phil_H

That must be be difficult! I remember dial up when I was a lad images would load incredibly slowly!

I have noticed game trails are stand out strongly in some places also. There’s bound to be a few thousand animals on the slips in the photos. Maybe in slow covered areas they will be easier to spot?

Im not sure when the DOC satellite images were taken but I think they are in places better than the google ones.
    Phil_H likes this.

Interesting concept, had a look at DOC viewer of some areas I hunt and I note that images are at least 4-5 years old. Google Earth Pro more up to date and our local Marlb. District Council Smart Maps while being a year or three out of date allow good zooming for viewing, I guess thats how they keep track of earthworks and buildings etc.
    Anyhow, good luck with your competition.

If the Doc maps are tooow quality we can switch to a higher quality one. Google earth pro? Do you have to buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sako851 View Post
    If the Doc maps are tooow quality we can switch to a higher quality one. Google earth pro? Do you have to buy it?
    Google Earth Pro is free these days ( used to be annual subscription ), it's just a step up in features from Google Earth. Members in other areas of NZ should check their local district/regional council website to see if they're running Smart Maps/ ESRI mapping system, lots of info. available, look under property maps.
    Phil_H likes this.