Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

information on the Wanganui river west coast

Hi all, about to head up the Wanganui river over by Franz Josef with the family. planning on staying in the Smyth hut. Wondering what the hunting is like and how difficult it is to get up into the Evans river and Vanes creek. any help would be much appreciated.

I went up there a couple of years ago and remember the signs were well under what it took to reach the hut so allow a couple of hours more and after a few recent BIG floods up there i'm sure the river will have changed with tracks being washed out etc

Keep your eyes open on the way up as I came across a few deer while walking up there and I know a few others have seen Chamois in the river beds.

I can't answer your other question.

The wanganui valley is currently closed following the flood the other day due to flood damage. The track is gone at the annoyance bluff below hunters. Not sure of other damage but know that the road is now gone up from the power station and the river went through the bush up from the quarry, far higher than ive ever seen it in the 25yrs I've been going up there. The lambert bridge is also gone. Cheers

cheers @steventhensths & Jased81 planning on flying in so the track shouldn't be an issue, hopefully we won't need to walk out! thanks for the info

GDR
    I was in there in nov last year, its tough going and dangerous in places, downstream track is gone in places, takes couple hours to scramble to devastation. Upstream true left is a scramble and there are rock falls all around you and new slips every few hours, watch for falling rocks and dont loiter. there is a crossing to go up true right approx 500yards upstream but river must be low, boulder hop up to confluence of vane, evans is then easier going, vane is a pain, few animals around but generally all up high. Cool spot to watch some thar tv. Warm springs below hut,
    PM me if you want anymore info

thanks @GRD had a good time, went up the vane, smyth and evans, a lot of bolder hopping, saw a few tahr, plenty of chamious sign and no deer