Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Inreach/66I vs Topo50

Inreach/66I vs Topo50

Well good morning team.

After long and arduous process (15mth) I have finally been given the tick for my FAL. I have done a bit of hunting growing up but mainly pigs, however have recently decided to get into stalking after the boss gave me permission to fork out and get my setup.

Quite confident in the bush having spent 5 yrs in the Army but as you all know, our hills are pretty unforgiving if you don't know the area.

I've been toying with getting an Inreach or 66i for all the reasons you have all discussed on here previously (Nav/Communication/SOS) and piece of mind for the wife when I'm out. On the other hand, I can't see myself going for any longer than an overnight trip, at least for the first few times heading out anyway. So in that sense, is the Topo50 and a PLB more than enough to be able to navigate around.

I wont be long range shooting, i'll be stalking in the Kaimanawa's predominantly and Kawekas from time to time.

I just want to know your guys thoughts, especially from those who do stalking and in similar terrain. Does Topo50 work well under canopy? Is it worth forking out for the Garmin or do I wait until im familiar with the area and have more experience for longer trips before I do that?

Cheers
    Scottie
    bumblefoot likes this.

Ned
    In my experience my LG android phone with nztopo50 picks up signal location and bearing way way quicker than a garmin unit (inreach mini and inreach explorer). Get a plb for emergency. The homing capability of them is what SAR will need to pinpoint your exact location anyway.
    I got rid of the explorer because I found the navigation capability of it so far behind an app that cost a few dollars on my phone and got a inreach mini for communication and back up navigation if needed. The pricing on the subscription hurts a bit but is a small price when away on multi day trips to keep in touch with home base.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Chur Bay and Strummer like this.

As said, the advantage of a PLB is for air/ground crews looking for you to home in on the beacon itself with telemetry equipment.
    It really speeds up rescue or recovery especially under a solid tree canopy.
    My colleagues have been involved with a search where the position generated/or the position provided from Garmin was 2.2 km out.
    Having an inReach and two way communication must be very reassuring an emergency but they are not as good for the people coming to help you.
    Micky Duck likes this.

ebf
    @Scottie, different bits of kit for different uses. You could combine most into an inReach I guess.

inReach / SpotX don't use the same network as the PLBs. Some people trust the inReach, others carry both. inReach is great if you get stuck behind a swollen river or shoot something on the way out and end up staying another night.

To my mind the best combo is PLB plus an inReach mini. PLB provides homing beacon for chopper crew to find you. But I've also spoken to several guys who pressed the PLB button, and waited for hours for help to get there, meanwhile they just had to trust the message got through. Benefit of inReach etc is that you can let people know you are stuck but still ok, things like twisted ankle etc. Also very re-assuring to have 2-way comms when SHTF situation.

From a nav point of view, a lot of guys just use mobile phones switched to flight mode, with location on. I download the geotiff topo maps direct from LINZ and use AvenzaMaps on an android phone.
    Last edited by ebf; 09-08-2021 at 12:14 PM.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

The Inreach has non Garmin mapping and they are not rated as well for the maps. The 66i has Garmin mapping. The Inreach service can be quicker to get a response and at least you can answer questions about why you need help etc but Searchers cannot home in as easily to the Inreach however the breadcrumb feature can be followed by anyone with a Inreach login. Inreach goes through Tony at TrackMe in Christchurch with 24hour support.

A PLB is almost instant but you can get no information it literally just sends an SOS at this location to RCC (Rescue Co-ordination Centre) who in the first instance will just send a chopper (very expensive to the tax payer).

I would like a 66i but simply cannot justify the current $35 a month subscription to the service.

Had an inreach in the past, now just use a plb and topo50 on the phone now
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Had an inreach in the past, now just use a plb and topo50 on the phone now
    Same for me.
    Still have a GPS but for what I need phone app good enough.

Cheers team

Had a good yarn with the boys at Hamils Rotorua. Aim is to save on cost at the moment without risking safety.

Having been in the army and now Police and working alongside SAR squads in the past, Pro's/Con's for both.

Will stick with the Topo50/PLB for now until I start doing longer trips. Appreciate the opinions.

Scottie

funny,it almost seems like folks dont use a map and compass AT ALL to navigate anymore...Ive started to carry them again and enjoy the challenge of finding where I am on map and then and only then,consulting GPS to back that up...mate had phone app the other day with same map on screen and I was within very small distance from where his phone said when we compared the two images....my reading bearings off side of map still needs work LOL.
    ebf, stagstalker and ando2506 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    Same for me.
    Still have a GPS but for what I need phone app good enough.
    I used to be map & compass until 2 years ago- now PLB & NZTOPO 50. As Micky says, the map & compass should be #1 and I should go back to that with NZTOPO50 as a backup to check the positioning on the way out in fog/darkness.
    Micky Duck and ando2506 like this.

I bought a GPS to leave breadcrumb trail after being accused of poaching kms from where I was....guess phone will do same ,it shook me up and having ability to prove where Ive been aswell as where I am is a good thing.

I've had both. Personally found that a combo of Topo 50 and a PLB suits me better. Couldn't really justify the i66 in the end so moved it on.

I occasionally still print off map of the area I need and can borrow an InReach from SAR if needed but seldom bother as its just another thing to carry.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Just published a thread about the new ZOLEO 2 way satellite communicator that's been released last Monday in the country. More info at skippersmate.co.nz/zoleo

I still laminate a map double sided with permit and carry compass.
    Mind you have never been asked for permit.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.