Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Jet boating into Whanganui NP

A mate has bought a jet boat, and we're thinking of doing a trip into Whanganui NP at some point chasing fallow. My understanding is that they're not found throughout the park, with large tracts being only pig/goat country. Is anyone able to shed light on which areas do/do not hold fallow, that are accessible by boat? Not after spot X's, just general areas would be much appreciated.
    More meplat, more better.

Dunno who gave you that info???
    Deer throughout the area buddy. What areas are you looking to launch from and hunt. Wakahoro south to Wanganui is prob the best hunting on the river with Reds,Fallow,Pigs and goats.
    You need to be aware of private land and iwi controlled land as if you are on there by mistake landowners arent that welcoming, if you catch the drift, if caught. The lower stretches of the river would be my pick and there are a few huts along the river you can stay at too. Autmn and winter are the quietest on the river. Rest of the year can be busy with Te Araroa trail, rafters,kyakers etc. @Kudu may have some more info for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    Dunno who gave you that info???
    Deer throughout the area buddy. What areas are you looking to launch from and hunt. Wakahoro south to Wanganui is prob the best hunting on the river with Reds,Fallow,Pigs and goats.
    You need to be aware of private land and iwi controlled land as if you are on there by mistake landowners arent that welcoming, if you catch the drift, if caught. The lower stretches of the river would be my pick and there are a few huts along the river you can stay at too. Autmn and winter are the quietest on the river. Rest of the year can be busy with Te Araroa trail, rafters,kyakers etc. @Kudu may have some more info for you.
    Thanks for that. I've heard from a few people that there are a lot of areas without deer, but they may be referring to the more heavily forested areas away from the river without grass/clearings that fallow love. We'd probably be more likely to enter from the Taumaranui end, but in all honesty if the deer are more prevalent down south I'd prefer there! Thanks heaps for your input.
    More meplat, more better.

Yes know your boundaries. Cannot shooting the river basin certain times of year too. Check the DOC website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk