Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Just experienced Heli-Hunting first hand

Post Just experienced Heli-Hunting first hand

Last Friday I went for a shoot with a couple mates of mine up the Wairau Valley. Arrived at Bottom Gordons at 1730h and had about 15mins to do a 3hr hike up to Top Gordons hut in which we smashed out in 2hr. But on the way there, my mate (who had hunted this block plenty times) couldnt understand why there was no animals in the spots he knew theyd be or even fresh sign to be seen. Anyways arrived at the hut gor the fire cranking as it was -2C and opened the visitors book where a previous hunter had written down something about Helihunters.
    Next morning we continued up the valley till we hit the saddle and being a city slicker most my life witnessed the trippiest sunrise as it light up the snowpeaks. whole trip saw no animals which was a pain in the ass but it was still an awesome trip being able to do my first alpine hunt and ofcourse to get out of the big smoke.

But on our way back we heard an buzzing that got louder and louder till it turned into a roar as a Hughes 500 D came screaming up the valley hugging the side of the mountains in obvious search for deer which pissed us off immensly. The chopper continued towards us and then must have seen us giving him the one finger salute because he then veered off up and over the range. We carried on walking back to the car realising that this is why everyone hates heli hunting when 10mins later the same helicopter flew past us at half the speed he was doing earlier blatantly showing off the animal he had chained up underneath!

All in all it was still an awesome hunt but now I have a new found hate for Heli-hunting. I mean its not really hunting its cheap, lazy and a pathetic way to harvest animals.
    So yeah just wanted to share my experience with Heli-hunters haha they can got get f*cked.
    'scuse my french.

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  39.0 KB
    LegaSea likes this.

Wow must be like hunting in a vacuum. Sorry to hear. On the flipside you got out of the big smoke (Blenheim) and got the alpine experience. The choppers won't get them all but will be quite some time before the numbers start to grow

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I am sorry Dave but "big smoke" and "Blenheim" are not synonymous with one another. Too bad about the trip result but at least you had great scenery.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Sounds like WARO rather the AATH?

Bit of a pain in the ar*e mate, but keep hunting, they don't get them all and the animals soon wise up to a chopper.

A couple of time I've witnessed animals make their way into cover as a chopper works up a valley and then come out after its gone again.

Sucks bro. Can't compete with a heli on foot.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    heli on foot.
    How does that work?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    How does that work?
    Same way the old man parked a bulldozer on my foot I suppose

Yea mate sounds like Waro not Heli hunting.

Better than the green rain which is the alternative.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Wildman and LegaSea like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Same way the old man parked a bulldozer on my foot I suppose
    Bet that ended in tears

Ah yep. I was about ten, leaning on the D7's blade. He shut the engine and dropped the blade, I stepped back but not far enough and consequently my foot got squashed. Squealed a bit and he jumped back up started the dozer and let me go. Haha.

Sorry this has nothing to do with waro or helicopters at all...hahaha!
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

How does that work?
    http://www.nerdist.com/wp-content/up...0/jet-pack.jpg
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

You should try hunting the hollyford.

I lost count at 50 deer on slings, 22's taking one at a time and squirrels appeared to have about 10 each load.

If they are WAROing the area theres only one option, watch to see where they are getting the deer, and watch the bush edges near by.

The wont get them all but they sure make it obvious they dont give a fuck if you get any. Ive got on vid a 22 honking at me almost hovering to show me what he got!

Chris

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    You should try hunting the hollyford.

I lost count at 50 deer on slings, 22's taking one at a time and squirrels appeared to have about 10 each load.

If they are WAROing the area theres only one option, watch to see where they are getting the deer, and watch the bush edges near by.

The wont get them all but they sure make it obvious they dont give a fuck if you get any. Ive got on vid a 22 honking at me almost hovering to show me what he got!

Chris
    Complete dickhead to do that crankin. It will be some homo that has 10 hrs on venison. I always, I mean always went somewhere else if I seen someone doing it hard on foot.
    That area has more than enough country to hunt where you shouldnt upset anyone.
    Helicopters should only hunt the flats if they need to make up a load and the weather prevents them hunting higher.
    Flats are hard work in a machine anyway.
    LegaSea likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

"big smoke" and "Blenheim" are not synonymous with one another.
    When you live on an airport with planes landing all day everyday and then hearing them running engine tests at night till 0200h in the morning then yeah it starts to kinda feel like the big smoke. But I know what you mean

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Complete dickhead to do that crankin. It will be some homo that has 10 hrs on venison. I always, I mean always went somewhere else if I seen someone doing it hard on foot.
    That area has more than enough country to hunt where you shouldnt upset anyone.
    Helicopters should only hunt the flats if they need to make up a load and the weather prevents them hunting higher.
    Flats are hard work in a machine anyway.
    All heli pilots are dicks and will even steal deerz from your nana's garden.
    I would steer clear of anyone who has even been near a chopper, let alone flys one