Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Pinkmist.
  • 5 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By nelpop
  • 3 Post By Petros_mk
  • 1 Post By Bonecrusher
  • 1 Post By MDub
  • 1 Post By Pinkmist.

Thread: Kaimai Roar

Kaimai Roar

hi all,

just wondering how every one is getting on in the Kaimai's for the roar? added a couple of pictures off my trailcam, of a stag I have been watching for a while, I have never picked up a daytime picture which I think is odd? I have been in the kaimai's the last two weekends
    and they seem to do most of there roaring at night, and about an hour into first light, then that's it, is this typical for the Kaimai's?

regards

and I'm well aware there are no deer in the Kaimai's haha
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    StagRyan likes this.

Aint he pretty
    Pointer, Rusky, Carpe Diem and 2 others like this.

Thats normal up there. They tend to be more active at night due to the hunting pressure that their up against. Its usually a fairly hit and miss roar up there as there no really very vocal.

depends where you go in there I suppose. My mate and a mate of his hunt a few areas in the roar and stags go hard in all of them. No idea where though haha

yes he is Gibo, I just have to figure out how to put him on my dinner plate, haha

thanks for the honest answer! looks like its going to be hard work from here on in.

interesting... i'll keep trying, thanks for the feed back

that last picture.. the stag with the shit antlers, my brother and I were there one hour after he was snapped on the camera, herd him roar at first light started closing the gap, and a dog started barking, pissed me off! who takes a dog that barks its fucking head off into the roar? honestly!

Theres a lot of clowns up there this time of the year.
    StagRyan likes this.

Just keep trying and you'll surely bump into him sooner or later. They don't need to be roaring to be shot.

WTF ? There is deer in the Kaimai... I'm sure you are just shit stiring the pot here with a trial cam pic from somewhere else...

@nelpop clowns indeed, up Thompson's track on Easter Sunday it was like world war 3, 3 shots rang out above me which were possibly genuine be it crap shooting, then some clown below me starts unloading a couple of Mags worth.
    @Pinkmist. there is some good sign around, found a nice scrape and large poo to match, but wouldn't be surprised that they don't bother roaring especially around Thompson's track with the beef cows, chainsaws, motorbikes and stuck 4x4s making an absolute racket a stag would get pretty tired competing with those sounds. Just my thoughts anyways, I'm yet to actually see a deer up there yet and had an equally terrible roar up the Blue River, Mt Aspiring National Park last week so starting to think I might be doing this whole hunting thing wrong haha.
    Great Pics too, thanks for sharing!

Saw a couple of clowns up by the blade one roar with condoms slid over the barrels of their rifles I think it's quietened down now somewhat from years gone past.
    My mission last weekend went through a very large area it was very wet underfoot, not a large amount of sign some browse and hind with fawn a foot, wallows being used but no moans.
    StagRyan likes this.

I went for a look up Wairere falls on tuesday, the tracks where a mess of foot prints and I didn't hear any roars. My dog got me onto a hind early in the morning not too far from the top in thick bush but I didn't shoot, then later on in the day we spooked another animal which I presume was a hind due to no stag smell. I also found the remains of a decent sized stag that had been boned out and the head was taken.
    I won't be going back up there for a while, it would be pretty hard with out the dog.
    StagRyan likes this.

thanks for all the comments guys! I cant help but notice a lot of people talk about Thompson's track and Wairere falls, I have not hunted either yet as their are easier excess points, and to be honest I have not bumped
    into any hunters during the roar ( TOUCH WOOD ) I'm quite happy at the moment.. wondering around in the thick shit, always lots of sign to keep you interested. other than catching them on my camera I haven't
    actually seen any thing yet though, so maybe I'm the jack arse haha, but then again I haven't had to put up with the cowboys shooting up around me.

regards
    StagRyan likes this.