Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Kaimais

Kaimais

Has anyone had much look up the kaimais this year? Been out the hunting scene this year as weve had a young fella, i used to hunt the te aroha side up Thompson and up wairere just seeming if anyones had much luck with filling the freezer up there. Cheers

One wandered through the car park a week ago, by the older print looks like he/she wandered that way a few days previous as well.

Name:  IMG0262A.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  340.4 KB

Yep plenty of deer signs everywhere.

Yeah theres certainly lots of sign up there always have been just tryna get them in the thick sht can be tricky
    Louie likes this.

Have spent a few Saturdays up there lately up different tracks / areas - I haven't been able to bring one home yet... Lot's of sign about, just hasn't come together for us yet.
    Louie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsol View Post
    Have spent a few Saturdays up there lately up different tracks / areas - I haven't been able to bring one home yet... Lot's of sign about, just hasn't come together for us yet.
    Keep going back to where the sign is, or was last time you went...perseverance pays off in the Kaimai's...there are far more deer in the Kaimai's these days than there ever were in the 25 years I have hunted it...the only thing is they are a bit lean this time of year, they would have had a good feed up after the last easterly blow we had on the wind blown fodder...the grass up high is fairly rank now, back in the day when it was winter grazed by the farmers the spring flush (September) brought the animals out.
    Shadowsol likes this.

Never hunted up there,but what I here on the forum is that there are a lot of deer up there . I also here the bush is as thick as pig shit . Why so , if so many deer ,

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    Never hunted up there,but what I here on the forum is that there are a lot of deer up there . I also here the bush is as thick as pig shit . Why so , if so many deer ,
    Supplejack is what hinders the hunters...shit loads of it,
    Rusky, Steve123 and Shadowsol like this.

nah theres no deer in the kaimais.lol they not moving far at the moment, they not on the bite. seeing footprints but not much daytime movement, give it 6-8 weeks they will be gorging. grass is only starting to grow at sea level so won't be kicking up there is still frosting up there.

Took a photo this morning of some typical Kaimai Country
    Supplejack but I can't upload it.

Kaimais supplejack is the reason I started carrying secateurs..
    charliehorse likes this.

9 hours to move 1.5km is my personal best in some beautiful kaimai bush plenty of deer around but they are on the other side of the impenetrable wall of supplejack then you 99% of the time

Are you allowed dogs up there? saw somewhere dogs were not allowed in Kaimais?

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by In2thewild View Post
    Are you allowed dogs up there? saw somewhere dogs were not allowed in Kaimais?
    Dogs are generally not allowed, but you can get a hunting permit for your dog from the Tauranga DOC office. South of SH29 they need a kiwi aversion certificate.
    The dog permit is separate to your hunting permit, and is only valid if you have a current hunting permit. It lasts for up to 12 months (I think July to June?).

Can one still get kiwi aversion certificates?. I read somewhere (most likely on here) that due to the banning of shock collars that they could no longer do the program.