Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Scottie
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Puddleduk
  • 8 Post By XR500

Thread: Kaimanawa Deer Management

Kaimanawa Deer Management

Hey team.

Not sure if this has been posted up yet. I'm sure most of us who hunt the area are aware the SF were doing some management this year. Just be aware if hunting the Kaimanawas between 25th May - 30th June.

"From approximately 25th May, a helicopter-based deer shooting operation will start in the Kaimanawa Remote Experience Zone (REZ), in response to evidence of deer impact on beech forests in the catchment. The majority of the control will be focused on the beech forest valley floor and terraces, and the prime targets are hinds.

If you are planning to go out hunting or tramping in the REZ between May 25 and approximately June 30, you need to be aware of this, stay cautious and stay safe. The aerial operation will be backed up by professional ground hunters and potentially further aerial management work through to late December 2022.

More info here: https://sikafoundation.co.nz/kaimanawa-rez-aerial-deer.../"
    stagstalker likes this.

Obviously the area needs a tickle up so good to see some action. Does anyone know if there is any 1080 planned for this year in and around Clements/ Te Iringa?
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Just did a search and the area around Te Iringa back to Clements Rd and down to the Kiapo are programmed for treatment this year, hope they use deer repellant.
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I would of thought they would wait until after Queen's Birthday weekend.

Well then; what do you make of This !
    https://i.stuff.co.nz/environment/12...vation-funding
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

30 million for deer and goats, about 15,000 hours in a 500.
    Maxx likes this.

I read somewhere lately that DOC has no money and is cutting back on all operational expenditure. Can somebody post up article??

The Doc sight says nothing about the 1080 Mooseman what sight are you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by ariki View Post
    I read somewhere lately that DOC has no money and is cutting back on all operational expenditure. Can somebody post up article??
    Read the link two posts up
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighniz View Post
    The Doc sight says nothing about the 1080 Mooseman what sight are you looking at?
    It’s an Ospri/TB Free operation. I think it was supposed to be done last year but Covid etc delayed it. Search Kaipo on the Ospri website, it’s in their National Aerial Operations Plan for this year

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    It’s an Ospri/TB Free operation. I think it was supposed to be done last year but Covid etc delayed it. Search Kaipo on the Ospri website, it’s in their National Aerial Operations Plan for this year
    Yip then I’m sure I read after consulting with the Sika Foundation that was changing again I’ll try to dig up the info

Yeh it was the Ospri site under Kiapo

Having just come out of that area a couple of days ago, I see its far far easier for DoC to restrict public access to useful access points (the previously safe out-of-sight-of-the-public on SH1 carpark at the southern Kaimanawa access route has sprouted all sorts of anti tank traps and hidden number plate cameras) and the continuing restriction on helo landing in the (yes, remote) RHA...then go and throw money at a helo company to shoot the ensuing higher number of deer found there. Would be funny if it weren't so farcical.
    Carbine, tetawa, Danny and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Having just come out of that area a couple of days ago, I see its far far easier for DoC to restrict public access to useful access points (the previously safe out-of-sight-of-the-public on SH1 carpark at the southern Kaimanawa access route has sprouted all sorts of anti tank traps and hidden number plate cameras) and the continuing restriction on helo landing in the (yes, remote) RHA...then go and throw money at a helo company to shoot the ensuing higher number of deer found there. Would be funny if it weren't so farcical.
    Concerns around use of motorbikes etc. on the access corridor behind the changes there, I understand?