Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kaingaroa

Kaingaroa

Just wondering if anyone has any general tips for hunting in there. Obviously not expecting spot X but more advice on whether its best for deer in newer or older blocks, that type of thing. Leads to the mythical spot X where deer can be harvested 20m uphill from the wagon appreciated also.

They like the Douglas fir apparently. I'd be looking in the more recently planted blocks. More light = more tucker.
    Haven't hunted in there specifically though. Just drive through on my way into the native.

They like the Douglas fir apparently. I'd be looking in the more recently planted blocks. More light = more tucker.
    Haven't hunted in there specifically though. Just drive through on my way into the native.

One tip from guys I know who pig hunt there, they never leave their vehicles unattended. Someone stays with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    One tip from guys I know who pig hunt there, they never leave their vehicles unattended. Someone stays with it.
    That sadly sums up most places these days

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has any general tips for hunting in there. Obviously not expecting spot X but more advice on whether its best for deer in newer or older blocks, that type of thing. Leads to the mythical spot X where deer can be harvested 20m uphill from the wagon appreciated also.
    I wouldn’t bother. It gets poached day and night…. When driving in you see them all driving out. Security seem to turn a blind eye….
    Used to be great but now the pigs are thin on the ground and those that survive are pretty cunning
    Find thick areas of blackberry and scrub

Had my tyre slashed couple of seasons ago and also had a guy level a rifle at me as I drove past one time. Never been back. 1080 all over the place too.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

I work with a ex Kaingaroa forest security pig hunter, spends more time in the forest where he shouldn't be than when he was on security. Thermal, dogs, guns. the whole lot. A couple of months ago he FOUND some sheep in the forest. I know that if you ask nicely and cross his palm with silver he can supply you with venison but it may take a couple of weeks. He did tell me that larger pigs are few and far between.

Chopper pilots at night reckon it is like seeing a Christmas tree as they go over.

Bugger, sounds a bit of a shit deal. Still may as well go for a look anyway. May as well get something out of the permit fee.

Sounds like there’s heaps in there @Steve123 and these guys are trying to deter you
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Sounds like there’s heaps in there @Steve123 and these guys are trying to deter you
    Spotlighted like christmas tree pretty much describes the whole central north island at night. Thinking I'll go in through Murapara rather than Kaingaroa village.
    chindit likes this.

Spotlighted like christmas tree pretty much describes the whole central north island at night. Thinking I'll go in through Murapara rather than Kaingaroa village.
    Now you know where the name "Murupara Moonbeam" comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Now you know where the name "Murupara Moonbeam" comes from.
    Worked with a guy from Murapara a few years back. Asked him about how you went about gettong a permit, he just laughed.

NRT
    That sadly sums up most places these days
    Really paranoid not ,south Island query

Sent from my Nokia X20 using Tapatalk