Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Kaweka Fly in Hunt/Fish Recommendations

Kaweka Fly in Hunt/Fish Recommendations

Hey I'm looking at a flyin trip into the Kawekas round end of feb-march next year. Are there any recommendations/Preferences for which heli company to go with and what are peoples experiences with certain huts you have stayed in and hunted round? this would be greatly appreciated

Iv never flown in before but iv herd a few people use "http://www.helisika.co.nz/" And have had only good things to say.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Met4lboy View Post
    Iv never flown in before but iv herd a few people use "http://www.helisika.co.nz/" And have had only good things to say.
    I've heards the exact opposite. Call Chris Crosse @ East Kaweka Helicopters. 068398693. Oma biv or Ngaawarapua would be a good option.
    P38, Nathan F and madjon_ like this.

Flew in with HeliSika into Kakapo Hut last year, cant say a bad word about the guys, very professional and really helpful. Cheers

I flew in with them this year , Pilot had no idea where the block was (private HS block) or where to land (old hut site) ended up dropping us on DOC land , them pleaded with us not to tell anyone when we got picked up after he found out what he had done , other than that it was good service .
    BRADS likes this.

Yea I've heard east kawekas heli is the man for the business, but does he provide private huts also? I usually tramp in but thought for the experience I'd like to do a private block heli trip

TJM
    Id be a bit worried if the pilot had no idea where he was up there,, now days most of them are using GPS , when I was flying around up there it wasn't too hard to find your way in good weather and you wouldn't want to be in the hills if it clags in badly. At a guess both these operators would be good.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I've heards the exact opposite. Call Chris Crosse @ East Kaweka Helicopters. 068398693. Oma biv or Ngaawarapua would be a good option.
    Kiwijames is on to it.

Chris Crosse will see you right.

Cheers
    Pete
    7mmsaum and Hunt4life like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshChiv View Post
    Yea I've heard east kawekas heli is the man for the business, but does he provide private huts also? I usually tramp in but thought for the experience I'd like to do a private block heli trip
    There's more than enough deer and trout on public land. Around the times you're talking the private stuff will probably be just as hammered anyway. Just because you're paying doesn't make it better. Heli Sika will have some good access into their Mohaka blocks but are not my cup of tea.
    Talk with Chris. He flies because he loves it, not just because it pays the bills.
    Blaser, BRADS and Hunt4life like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

TJM
    James is right, I've been to many private blocks over the years and to be honest the doc ones in the back blocks are just as good. Really comes down to how good you are at stalking plus a bit of luck of course ! Now that access to most places is easy if you can afford the time and fly in costs I'm sure they all get a lot of pressure most of the time.
    i can remember when I was learning to fly in the bush and talking to Jason ex H/Sika we spotted lots of deer in places where hunters had flown in the week before and told them that there were no animals in the block !! How ever the pilots that are really interested in the hunting can tell you which places should be hunting well. At the end of the day its great to get to places you normally cant walk to easily just for a change of scenery.

Thanks for the advice TJM , I've hunted plenty of front half of the kawekas and thought why not pop over the back for a look. Carrying out meat from the back blocks would be a mission and a half. and I guess you're right about the private vs public they just would get hammered as each other, probably the private blocks more.

Flying in with Helisika on Sunday so will review how it all works out.
    sako75 and JoshChiv like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshChiv View Post
    Thanks for the advice TJM , I've hunted plenty of front half of the kawekas and thought why not pop over the back for a look. Carrying out meat from the back blocks would be a mission and a half. and I guess you're right about the private vs public they just would get hammered as each other, probably the private blocks more.
    Chris is the go-to-man.
    Consider heli-pad sites without a hut too. You can fly in a comfortable home/tent set up. The pads are less popular, and the types that use them are less inclined to thrash the area. You can get better hunting on public land than on the pay-to-hunt blocks.
    7mmsaum and nevereadyfreddy like this.

+1 for Omar biv.Awsome trout fishing right out front and good bush to hunt.Not for up to the tops either.Mint spot.

I see you live in HB. Just pack up your gear and wander over the back of the J . Outstanding public land sika hunting. Take a fly and the world is your oyster young man!

Few trips hauling meat out from the back should see you fit enough