Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bully

Thread: Kidney Disease Red Deer

Kidney Disease Red Deer

Shot a good sized hind in the Tararuas on the weekend. I found these black lumps on the kidneys and decided not to take the meat. Can anyone shine some light on what this could be? I was taught to inspect offal for this sort of thing and after 35+ years of hunting, this is the first time I have come across it. Did I do the right thing?

Name:  IMG_1003.JPG
Views: 1228
Size:  149.5 KB

Leptospirosis ?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Thanks. I looked that up and that tends to be white spots in the kidneys. Its got me stumped despite a few hours of research. An out there theory. A fair bit of the Tararuas has been subject to aerial 1080 drops. Could this animal had a non lethal dose which resulted in kidney damage? Apparently 1080 causes kidney failure among other symptoms.

Interesting! Might show that photo to a friend of mine (Vet) and see is she has any thoughts on it. Never seen that before.

If in doubt, chuck it out.
    Shame to waste an animal like that but better to err on the side of caution.
    You could have taken the meat and frozen it until confirmation came that it was good or bad. I think i would have done the same as you given our limited freezer size and wifey on at me to clean it out of 18mth old sausage meat

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiaviator View Post
    Thanks. I looked that up and that tends to be white spots in the kidneys. Its got me stumped despite a few hours of research. An out there theory. A fair bit of the Tararuas has been subject to aerial 1080 drops. Could this animal had a non lethal dose which resulted in kidney damage? Apparently 1080 causes kidney failure among other symptoms.
    Worth investigation for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    If in doubt, chuck it out.
    Shame to waste an animal like that but better to err on the side of caution.
    You could have taken the meat and frozen it until confirmation came that it was good or bad. I think i would have done the same as you given our limited freezer size and wifey on at me to clean it out of 18mth old sausage meat
    Yep plus 1, I would have kept the meat and kidneys and taken the kidneys to a vet for examination/testing as far as diseases go you are pretty safe from most if cooked, poisons not so sure on?.

Although in saying that if there is a decent carry involved from a familiar area with no previous anomaly's I usually don't even gut the animal just take the meat.

Thanks for the feedback. Let us know what your vet friend thinks WhistlingWings please. Cheers.

Fulla
    Did you look at any other organs? I found out not so long ago there's a limp node (spelling) in by the front leg that increases in size when soaking up toxins or whatever too. My deer had had a sore leg at some time. It was healed but the node was something I had never noticed. I'm guessing because most of the time there small. This one was about the size of a man's nut. I didn't see until skinning. I think this was the reason why it didn't taste to good. Just something else to note or inspect.

For Tararua Reds - maybe others- I've found small white nodes in the fat layers between the organs and they are benign

Haven't seen a lump that big before

A bugger to leave the meat but not dying of poisoning is always a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Did you look at any other organs? I found out not so long ago there's a limp node (spelling) in by the front leg that increases in size when soaking up toxins or whatever too. My deer had had a sore leg at some time. It was healed but the node was something I had never noticed. I'm guessing because most of the time there small. This one was about the size of a man's nut. I didn't see until skinning. I think this was the reason why it didn't taste to good. Just something else to note or inspect.
    Lymph

Fulla
    And I thought you went to the same school as me...
    Gibo likes this.

I have a Limp node.
    When it gets too full of beer, I cant walk
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Mine makes me fall asleep