Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Knife for Boy (small chap)

Knife for Boy (small chap)

I hesitate to say it but he's 10 and is small for his age - so he has small hands . . . .

Anyhoo he's a good kid (belongs to an past colleague, she has bought up a dammed fine boy on her own), I took him shooting then hunting on Sunday.

I'm getting organised with a rifle that will suit his stature a bit better, but he needs a knife, a small plain skinner/general purpose type. He'll probably be like all boys and lose it, so not too much $$ needs to be in it.

I reckon boys knives need to be easy to sharpen, so maybe something a bit softer than a Bahco . . . . I've seen this one which looks like a possibility. https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...17654fb8b6-001 . . . . but maybe it would lack appeal for a boy??

Thoughts
    Thanks

Send me your address and I will post you one for him gratis.

Cheers

NO4
    Have you thought about a small folding knife,I got my boy this it was cheap ($30 from memory),and is easy to carry

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Hot Barrels and tight lines

Agreed. Svord peasant is great. Easy to sharpen. Has a hole for safety lanyard. I carry one in belt bag to complement my 40 year old svord main knife.
    Micky Duck likes this.

What are the victory knives like??
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...a87dc02c38-001

What about a mercator?

A very short tall person ROKTOY's Avatar
    Opinel? easy to operate lockout on the blade on some of the smaller ones. drill a hole in the handle for a lanyard.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Sweet knives. basic, but take a mean edge, are easy to sharpen. Only knock on them is they area wee bit soft so really need to be paired with a hone or steel.

If you’re interest in a Svord Peasant, let me know, I’ve got one that needs a new home. Orange handle, so harder for the young fulla to misplace it.
    Puffin, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Tahr (bless him) has sorted this (and we all know he is the knife guru) so thanks very much for the suggestions etc.

As for you buggers giving cheek etc, the boy's Grandfather (on the West Coast) is about 80 and still building, he was also a very good shearer, part of a gang who set a record that stood for more than 20 years. The point being young Sam is likely to grow (eventually) into a strapping young man, and I'd bet none of you would give him cheek then !!

Cheers

Careful with new Mercator's. I swore by them, but they're now made in China, and I was told some part in particular breaks, a hell of a lot are being returned, so some shops have stopped selling them.
    NRT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Tahr (bless him) has sorted this (and we all know he is the knife guru) so thanks very much for the suggestions etc.

As for you buggers giving cheek etc, the boy's Grandfather (on the West Coast) is about 80 and still building, he was also a very good shearer, part of a gang who set a record that stood for more than 20 years. The point being young Sam is likely to grow (eventually) into a strapping young man, and I'd bet none of you would give him cheek then !!

Cheers
    I think he's lucky having Foster there guiding him along.

Here's the knife I'm sending him. Its my old gutting & arse-hole knife from when I was commercial hunting. So the lad is doubly lucky.

There is so much negative black cloud shit on this forum now a days its good to be involved in something positive.

Name:  IMG_2317.jpeg
Views: 455
Size:  464.3 KB
    veitnamcam, nor-west, NRT and 21 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I think he's lucky having Foster there guiding him along.

Here's the knife I'm sending him. Its my old gutting & arse-hole knife from when I was commercial hunting. So the lad is doubly lucky.

There is so much negative black cloud shit on this forum now a days its good to be involved in something positive.

Attachment 122252
    Good on you man

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    I have a couple, and now use them in preference to a Gerber, Svord and a Duel which I gathered over 35 years. Nothing classy about them, but cheap and very light, and a colour that makes them easy to find.

Top man Thar

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk