Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Pengy
  • 1 Post By Pengy
  • 1 Post By skyflyhigh

Thread: L.E.D VS H.I.D Spotights

L.E.D VS H.I.D Spotights

Hows it

Hope everyone roaring up some good stags ,

In the market for a new handheld spotlight , can anyone shed some light on which light is better ? Pros or cons

Cheers

Just get a Maxtoch sniper
    223nut likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

i repair 100's of lights so heres my 2c:
    LED are good on power saving if you are carrying batteries. they lack the "startle" ability on small game but are ok on big game.
    HID, heres where it gets interesting and dont believe the packaging! the startle of HID is great, reasonable power use compared to the equivalent but when they are first firing up they drag massive current for a couple of seconds so if your battery is a little down they will not ignite up although there is the power remaining to actually keep them going.

in both cases and unlike halogen if your power source is uneven and has ripple on it eg: powered off a farm bike with no battery then expect smoke to come out of them both !!

Nitecore TM 36. Pins everything to the spot. Rabbits ,cats,possums,pigs,goats they just freeze. LED various levels usable to conserve power. I normally flick a paddock on low ish then jump too high. Seriously expensive but also the best I have used. Have a few Maxtochs this is a different league to them

https://www.torchmonster.co.nz/nitec...rch-light.html.

Negatives expensive,heavy, need to not scratch the lens . Mine resides in $46 camera case ex warehouse Similar to an otter box Try one you ll forget those instantly
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

[QUOTE=Happy;580046]Nitecore TM 36. Pins everything to the spot. Rabbits ,cats,possums,pigs,goats they just freeze. LED various levels usable to conserve power. I normally flick a paddock on low ish then jump too high. Seriously expensive but also the best I have used. Have a few Maxtochs this is a different league to them

[url]https://www.torchmonster.co.nz/nitecore/nitecore

It gets even more expensive when you realise that you need to employ someone to carry it for you
    223nut likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

The Nitecore TM36 is powerful with its old school SBT-70 led, but not really a general purpose hunter torch. Nitecore says it weighs 1.344 kilograms - half the weight of a rifle, has 50mm tube, uses 4 x 18650 batts and usually costs anywhere up to $5-800US...... Its old sst-70 type led puts out good power but needs alot of batts to run it - hence the huge weight. You could use it as a spottie but v heavy and you wouldn't want to try to scope mount it. Has approx 1800 lumen output and 310,000 lux for 1100 meter throw. By contrast the all-purpose Maxtoch 2x weighs 1/3rd, uses 2 batts, has 25mm tube for scope or handheld use, has 1450 lumen output but 365,000 lux for higher 1200 meter range, and costs $93US. TM36 range about same range as smaller Maxtoch M24 Sniper - the recent upgrade model.

When designing hunter lights we don't focus so much on lumen output - anything over 1000 lumens is tons for scanning paddocks. For hunter lights we also set maximum weight of just 400gms including batteries. Gadget and I look at the very big lights like the TM36, review their new and old led types etc, but although they can be fun to play with they just don't tick enough boxes as hunters.

Maxtoch 2X is very light at 400gms including batteries, scope mountable or handheld, and performance is up with big 6-7" HID spotlights - somewhere between the 35 and 55 watt models. Will be on sale again next month. Scroll down this page where Quentin tooks pics of 2X showing up cattle easily at 1000 meters:

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...6/index33.html
    Last edited by mudgripz; 01-04-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks fellas seems the mactoch is the go , now to find one ? Happy ,want to sell me one of yours ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Pengy likes this.

I'd wait till they're on sale again with Maxtoch then get a new 2X with batts, charger, if necessary mounts etc. This is the model;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAXT...661379568.html

When you re spot lighting from a quad weight doesn't matter. USB charger on quad equals no problem. In the bush maxtoch. Pest control uh uh. I personally find the nitecore is the best. Mind you we re killing pests to 300 mtrs. It pins them. Good night blue eyes
    Of course every one has their choice of gear. I didn't design the nitecore just bought one as the solution that I had wasn't working

LOL at 1.344 kilograms am I aloud to say back in the day , 12 volt car batt buggered canvas on pack and a extra pair o legs just for the spotty .

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    LOL at 1.344 kilograms am I aloud to say back in the day , 12 volt car batt buggered canvas on pack and a extra pair o legs just for the spotty .
    Yep but on a modern quad bike with more horsepower than you ll ever need it's not actually a problem In the bush no way it's not a good solution. Don't do a lot of pest control in the bush it's more like hunting

Sold the 35HID when I got the Maxtoch M24, as they both had similar throw, but the LED did it with 1/3 the power consumption. I ran both lights with remote battery packs, and I could get away with a much lighter battery pack for the same run time with the LED.
    The Maxtoch 2X was another step up in output, so I could not see myself going back to a HID. 55W HID definitely has more output than a Maxtoch 2X, but the size of the 55W HID, and the weight of the light and required battery makes it a no-go.

Hi gonetropo

I have a handheld 35W HID lightforce spotlight (cigarette plug) which is currently not working.
    I am unsure if the spotlight can be repaired.
    Do you repair these spotlights and if so, could you have a look at it if I sent it to you?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
    Hamish

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dicksmith View Post
    Hi gonetropo

I have a handheld 35W HID lightforce spotlight (cigarette plug) which is currently not working.
    Do you repair these spotlights and if so, could you have a look at it if I sent it to you?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
    Hamish
    @gonetropo

Quote Originally Posted by dicksmith View Post
    Hi gonetropo

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
    Hamish
    pm sent