Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Hayden C
  • 3 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By 308

Thread: Lake wakaremoana

Lake wakaremoana

Hey fellas me and a couple of mates are looking at poking our noses around the above areas but are all complete virgins to the area,does anyone have any advice or suggestions?areas to avoid etc?not looking for you're spot x but any advice would be muchly appreciated!!
    Have got a lil tinny that can transport us around the lake if that helps?is it a safe area to leave vehicles parked up for a few days?
    Thanks in advance chaps

Where will you be based and when? It can get pretty busy at certain times of the year.

Most of my hunting has been down the far end of the lake through 'the narrows' and there's usually plenty of animals about. Have a bit of a scout around and establish obvious feeding areas like the large grassy areas adjacent to the lake and tributaries. Generally the deer are feeding at these locations under the cover of darkness although in the late evening they can be herd making their way from their bedding areas to the edge of the cover. What I like to do I set myself up overlooking obvious game trails in saddles or open guts leading up to these areas and let them come to me. Or sidle the slopes behind obvious feeding areas during the day and you should get onto them as the don't tend to go far.

I've never had an issue with vehicle security as there's generally enough people around to deter the thieves.

Have a great trip, its an awesome place!
    Boulderman likes this.

GWH
    I shot my first deer at the lake late in 2009, first ever trip there. The place holds a very special place in my heart, beautiful spot. We make one trip there each year now in Nov/Dec. We camp on my mates boat, but pretty much always thru the narrows too. As Hayden has said the deer come down and feed on the grassy clearings and fringes of the lake and the creek mouths the whole way around the lake. Generally only coming out from the bush edge just after darkness, apart from the yearlings that have just been kicked out (my first deer shot at a remote creek mouth well before dark).

No matter where you hop off the boat (thru the narrows anyway) you will see heaps of deer sign within 2 steps off jumping off the boat. And all the grass will be mowed down. Hayden's trick of ambushing them back up in the bush as they make their way down is a good tip i reckon.

Our vehicle has always been safe left in the carpark at Home bay camp ground/boat ramp.

Magic place, enjoy!
    Toby, Boulderman and Nick-D like this.

The Mrs and I got a ride across the lake to pick up a hunter once bloody nice spot enjoy.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

hey fellas thanks for the advice!

looking at heading up on the 13th of next month for a few days exploring and taking in the scenery and hopefully giving a animal or 2 a free ride out!

the narrows?mite have to do a bit more searching on google earth, was looking at skipping over to the far side and poking our noses around there.

The Narrows is the gateway through to the Western side, it is on the opposite side from the road
    madmaori likes this.

Name:  The Narrows.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  324.6 KB

Just watch the wind. Get a strong westerly and it can become pretty dangerous coming through here in a small boat.

Also I notice that more and more of the lake is being closed to hunters.

Permission for Hunting : Tuhoe

That's the area I was looking at but had a quick glance at the map and not sure I'm in the right iwi to be hunting in a lot of that area?!
    Thanks for the heads up bout the wind in that area only going to be in a oversized dinghy so mite not be suitable in case it does cut up

Bloody hell looking at that map you may as well go fishing bro
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Haha I was thinking the same thing....but then I remembered that unless I'm using huhu grubs I'm shit at catching trout and I reckon me and the rangers up there won't see eye to eye on that.one of the boys reckons he's handy with the fly rod so trout maybe on the menu
    How's snee road been treating you Dundee