Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hayden6.5
  • 1 Post By Shearer

Thread: Lambert river tahr ballot block

Lambert river tahr ballot block

So me and a few mates have gone for the tahr ballot this year. We got lambert river. Anyone been in there in the last few years? This is our first tahr hunt. Done a heap of research and only found a couple of things on this block. Any tips or tricks will be welcomed. Super amped and rearing to go.

Haha take good gear . I was in there on my first tahr trip and we were flown our early due to bad weather coming and the weather we experienced the 4 days before we flew out was the only time I've worried for my life in the bush . It was so windy funneling up the valley hammering the tent and into the rock wall up the end of the valley turning water falls into water spouts . The creek come up almost into the tent and we were on a little island really in between the creeks . Did see plenty of tahr but a bit of a climb up a select few snow chutes .we climbed around 1000 meters altitude the one fine day we got out . Good chance of seeing a chamois in there I shot a 8 and 3/4 inch buck in there. I recommend getting up before sunrise and climb as much as you can before the tahr do . Also a lot of cliff faces tahr sit on top of and if you shoot them they will get smashed up on way down . Really nice country on a good day though

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden6.5 View Post
    So me and a few mates have gone for the tahr ballot this year. We got lambert river. Anyone been in there in the last few years? This is our first tahr hunt. Done a heap of research and only found a couple of things on this block. Any tips or tricks will be welcomed. Super amped and rearing to go.
    There's a pretty average video, first time tahr hunting we made way back in 2015 when in there on YouTube. Was first time in there, been in there again since and had a good run. Give me a text if you want and I'll give you a call 0211907400
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Yes ive watched it. Im in awe of the country up there.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Yes we have had to upgrade alot of gear. Sorry to my partner haha. Seeing anything will be still amazing. Im sure we will find things that we will need to improve on but we will be going for more in the future. Ive read that fitness is going to have to be top priority for this block as you say have to climb 1000+m elevation.

Yea I don't know i wasn't very fit when I went and I was ok climbing. Just plod along and you get up there eventually. It took us 4 hours from camp to where we glassed from and shot a bull from.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I was in there 2017 (thanks to @Ryan_Songhurst) and had a great trip. Lots of animals seen but there is a lot of inaccessible terrain. There were just two of us so there were still plenty of places we could get to and explore safely.
    If you want to bag a good Bull, expect to be doing some walking in the dark either morning or evening and spend the first day letting your binos do the walking.
    When we were sitting waiting for the chopper to collect us (after 5 days hunting) we could still see 7 nice bulls from our campsite but none of them within reach.
    Name:  P1000139.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  211.7 KB
    Name:  P1000167.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  151.3 KB
    Name:  P1000194.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  260.0 KB
    Name:  P1000131.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  163.9 KB
    Hope the weather plays ball for you (like it did us) and remember no animal is worth a fall in that sort of country.
    BSA270 likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.