Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Layout (Coffin) Blinds for hunting deer.

Layout (Coffin) Blinds for hunting deer.

May be a silly question but what the hell.
    Has anyone used or considered using a layout (coffin) blind for hunting deer?

The reason I ask is that I am hunting on a piece of land that is quite open and the ideal place to sit/lay and wait for the deer is on a very exposed piece of hilly outcrop. Looked and thought of all the different alternatives and a layout blind, or a variation seems the best scenario. Shooting from a position lying on my back would be the best, not springing up to a sitting position as in the duck shooting blinds.

Is it feasible/sensible/safe to fire a round from a .308 whilst reclined on your back? Has anyone considered this before or better still tried some variation of it?

For what I have in mind the standard layout blind sold in sporting stores wouldn't fit the bill. My thought would be to build one myself so that I am reclining with the rifle in place pointing in the area I expect the deer to arrive. The intention would be able to to sight the target and fire a shot with minimal movement.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Cheers
    Phil

lay down facing target area wearing camo clothing...job done...if really worried about being seen cover self with camo net.
    scent is far more important to deer than sight,if you are low and indistinct they shouldnt notice you...if your upwind the game is up before its begun.
    whats that saying of Mr Bear???? best form of camo is sit still and shut up.... laying on back is not ideal with centrefire,Ive used a .22lr rested on my boots while laying on back for steep downhill shot,wouldnt do same with .308.
    there will be spot on or around/behind outcrop where you can rest rifle infront of you and get comfortable.
    lumberjack, dannyb and RUMPY like this.

MB
    A ghillie suit would work from a sight perspective. At one place I shoot, you cannot get within 200 metres of a pukeko. In a ghillie suit, I've had them pecking around my feet when sitting it out for ducks. Scent is another issue, but if the wind was blowing in the right direction...
    turtle and dannyb like this.

Borrow a post hole borer, dig a big enough hole to sit with your feet in which will lower your profile.......or go even deeper and put a step in it so you can sit with just your head and shoulders above ground. If its on an outcrop run a piece of drainage pipe out the bottom...
    Dama dama and turtle like this.

One of the spots I hunt at has a nice semi open rocky outcrop on a spur that looks up onto a open face clearings shooting from 200m to 800m. In the evenings the animals can easily see my silhouette, so a camo net doubled over setup as a blind low down as possible works a treat in a prone shooting position and covers my movement when glassing.
    I don’t like the idea of shooting on my back accuracy wise, close range would be ok but not distance shooting.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Climb a tree. More effective!

Excellent concept, should work well. The advantage of a layout type blind is the comfort, and it keeps you a lot warmer. A ghillie suit or camo net aren't as easy to hide your movement, and tend to let the wind blow through, so you get cold. Pit blinds are great, you can sit, you can move about a bit undetected, your profile is low. But it sucks digging them. If it was me, I would build myself a nice little person size possy out of the surrounding rocks, dig a hole for your feet, camo it up with a bit of brush, and it doesn't have to match the surroundings like it does for ducks. Make it so you can lie comfortably prone if you want, or set up a shooting stick/table thing if you want to stay sitting, so you are ready to shoot, but make sure you have enough easy movement to glass a wide area. Deer dont seem to mind a larger profile bush like structure so long as they cant see movement or smell you. Many years ago, before layout blinds, we use to use a sheet of hessian big enough to lie on, with enough to bring back over and cover ourselves. Threw it over a netting fence and splashed and painted some green and brown on it to make a sort of camo pattern, didn't take much. And then we would lay on it with our shotguns beside us, and pull the remainder over the top. Rest our heads on our packs and wait for the ducks or geese. Very effective, and cut out a lot of wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Borrow a post hole borer, dig a big enough hole to sit with your feet in which will lower your profile.......or go even deeper and put a step in it so you can sit with just your head and shoulders above ground. If its on an outcrop run a piece of drainage pipe out the bottom...
    You need a 303 if you are going down that route, so you can give yourself the command "fix bayonets"! then blow your whistle and up and over the top screaming "CHARGE"!!!! (as long as it's a hind or you might find yourself facing the enemy with 8 or more bayonets on his head!)
    Steve123 likes this.

Are you in a safe, private area. Make a deer silloete shape and sit behind it. You gotta be reasonably comfortable to sit still for a long time. And its usually cold sitting still for a while.
    I've sat in tree stands for hours and use home made seats and small hammock style nets to sit in. Also have a rest to use helps things. Hats gloves and maybe a face net for the sandflys.

The Original Striker
    4 waratahs or trees and camo netting around all four and a 10mm rope slung moderately between them.
    good for shooting off the center point of the rope dip,
    use the rope to carry weight of the rifle, use the rifle sling to stabilize your position
    nice comfortable chair or pillow to sit on depending on height needed
    your trying to minimize your human shape, silhouette, sudden movement and sound, so you might as well be comfortable

been using this method with cagey pest peacocks, camo net on front trees, rope on trees further back.
    they see movement at under 400 yards and they are gone
    Steve123 likes this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    lay down facing target area wearing camo clothing...job done...if really worried about being seen cover self with camo net.
    scent is far more important to deer than sight,if you are low and indistinct they shouldnt notice you...if your upwind the game is up before its begun.
    whats that saying of Mr Bear???? best form of camo is sit still and shut up.... laying on back is not ideal with centrefire,Ive used a .22lr rested on my boots while laying on back for steep downhill shot,wouldnt do same with .308.
    there will be spot on or around/behind outcrop where you can rest rifle infront of you and get comfortable.
    Have tried lying down with shade cloth covered in grass over top of me. The only issue is that the only place I can lay happens to be on a downward slope. Even finding the flattest piece still had a downward incline. Was not good on the back, and could only hold that position for an hour or so hence why the thought of lying on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    A ghillie suit would work from a sight perspective. At one place I shoot, you cannot get within 200 metres of a pukeko. In a ghillie suit, I've had them pecking around my feet when sitting it out for ducks. Scent is another issue, but if the wind was blowing in the right direction...
    Have considered a ghillie suit but a little restricted on movement as in glassing, plus I am wanting to lay hidden into the night with heavy frost and only last week night about 4 inches of snow. It is usually the cold that drives me out of hiding first, that and an old mans weak bladder. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Yes have considered digging in but cattle get run on the same piece of land and land owner wouldn't appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Climb a tree. More effective!
    There is no shortage of trees in the area and tree hide was one of the first considerations. Looked at probably a dozen possible trees but all needed branches cut to allow suitable view and I don't think the landowner would appreciate this, plus the wind can fair hammer through the valley and the height that I would have to be sitting at the tree can be experiencing some pretty wild movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Excellent concept, should work well. The advantage of a layout type blind is the comfort, and it keeps you a lot warmer. A ghillie suit or camo net aren't as easy to hide your movement, and tend to let the wind blow through, so you get cold. Pit blinds are great, you can sit, you can move about a bit undetected, your profile is low. But it sucks digging them. If it was me, I would build myself a nice little person size possy out of the surrounding rocks, dig a hole for your feet, camo it up with a bit of brush, and it doesn't have to match the surroundings like it does for ducks. Make it so you can lie comfortably prone if you want, or set up a shooting stick/table thing if you want to stay sitting, so you are ready to shoot, but make sure you have enough easy movement to glass a wide area. Deer dont seem to mind a larger profile bush like structure so long as they cant see movement or smell you. Many years ago, before layout blinds, we use to use a sheet of hessian big enough to lie on, with enough to bring back over and cover ourselves. Threw it over a netting fence and splashed and painted some green and brown on it to make a sort of camo pattern, didn't take much. And then we would lay on it with our shotguns beside us, and pull the remainder over the top. Rest our heads on our packs and wait for the ducks or geese. Very effective, and cut out a lot of wind.
    Comfort is important as I am sitting there in all weather including snow. Cold is the thing that usually drives me home. I have been using a Buffalo River one man duck shooting blind and that is comfortable as it has a seat, keeps the weather off me and allows movement inside for glassing etc and the animals don't see it. I had one stag eyeballing me out of a piece of bush not 20 meters away and he didn't see me. Issue then is that he trotted straight out in front of me and down the hill only presenting a moving rear end shot which I wasn't willing to take. While this is a really good piece of kit I have to be able to set my hide up in different areas depending upon the wind. This hide works well at one end sheltered under the trees in a light norwester. Not suitable at the other end in southerly wind or northeast wind, as where it has to be positioned it flaps wildly in the wind and alerts any animal within the area.