Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Layout (Coffin) Blinds for hunting deer.

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    4 waratahs or trees and camo netting around all four and a 10mm rope slung moderately between them.
    good for shooting off the center point of the rope dip,
    use the rope to carry weight of the rifle, use the rifle sling to stabilize your position
    nice comfortable chair or pillow to sit on depending on height needed
    your trying to minimize your human shape, silhouette, sudden movement and sound, so you might as well be comfortable

been using this method with cagey pest peacocks, camo net on front trees, rope on trees further back.
    they see movement at under 400 yards and they are gone
    Have got a similar setup at one end of the area though it is very dependant on which way the wind is hitting me. Unfortunately the best location is on this exposed piece of hill. The land owner is not keen on any constructions etc. so am trying to get something that is very portable in that I walk in, setup dependant on wind and at the end of the night have it all packed up and off the land before I go home. A vraiation of the layout blind in theory ticks most boxes apart from the question of shooting the .308 from an, on-back reclined position.

Awesome replies from everyone thanks guys. Lots of food for thought.

In terms of portability, low profile, comfort and keeping on-side with the landowner a layout blind still ticks most of the boxes. The only real question is the feasibility and safety of letting rip with the .308 while lying on my back. To this end I am going to go out to the back paddock and experiment with a .22 rifle shooting from different positions on my back and if this shows any promise will try a larger calibre and may eventually build a prototype to try out the concept.

Again thanks for the feedback and will keep the thread updated on my progress.

Cheers
    Phil

you have already got a buff blind that has comfy chair to sit in..you know you can shoot out of it....wind...put a camo net up and over the top and bungy and peg it down so wind goes up n over the top...it works with a warehouse tarp and big canvas tent so your set up will be piece of piss....footprint of the blind is what??? about 1m square??? take a spade and MAKE a flat spot...something that size wont worry your farmer friend,place sods back in place and grass will grow anyway.you could place a shooting stick type rest out the front of blind...old mans bladder ...hmm I love my cups of tea too....maybe you need to do what many tradies do and carry a 2ltr milk bottle with you....fill while waiting and dispose of it later...just dont mix up bottle with your raro.

Why do you have to shoot off your back in a layout blind? Why not lie prone behind your rifle in a sleeping bag or under a nice warm blanket?
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you have already got a buff blind that has comfy chair to sit in..you know you can shoot out of it....wind...put a camo net up and over the top and bungy and peg it down so wind goes up n over the top...it works with a warehouse tarp and big canvas tent so your set up will be piece of piss....footprint of the blind is what??? about 1m square??? take a spade and MAKE a flat spot...something that size wont worry your farmer friend,place sods back in place and grass will grow anyway.you could place a shooting stick type rest out the front of blind...old mans bladder ...hmm I love my cups of tea too....maybe you need to do what many tradies do and carry a 2ltr milk bottle with you....fill while waiting and dispose of it later...just dont mix up bottle with your raro.
    Yes starting to think you are right @Micky Duck. Just did a trial run of lying inclined on my back with my legs splayed out in front of me. The first danger I saw was in the heat of taking an off-center shot I could be taking some toes from my foot with it.

Trying to do a preliminary run on the side of the hill tonight reverting back to my first hide.

Name:  Shooting Chair.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  2.19 MB

The shade cloth I had draped over me with just the barrel of the rifle poked out resting on my home made shooting rest. This setup got me my first deer.

Yes, already doing the 2 litre bottle thing. I have two, one labeled 'Pee' and the other 'W', just in case I can't see the colour of it at night.

As an aside, that book by James Passmore you recommended to me. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Why do you have to shoot off your back in a layout blind? Why not lie prone behind your rifle in a sleeping bag or under a nice warm blanket?
    Mainly because my target zone is inclined away from me. Tried lying facing down hill; definitely not good. I even tried an improvised ramp to lie on constructed from a beach chair; better but still not good for any length of time.

Regards the sleeping bag? Bloody obvious, isn't it, and I had never given it a thought. Thanks for that. I shall think on that and consider how else I can get myself comfortably prone on the hill.

MB
    I've tried waiting for animals in the prone position. I don't last very long. Head down would be worse. I sit on a chair like this in my ghille suit. I prefer to have something behind me so I'm not silhouetted. I either shoot from sitting (shotgun for ducks), or slowly move from sitting to prone (rifle). If you're on a very steep hill, this isn't going to work unless you get a spade out as someone else has suggested. Duck blind idea is an interesting though. Keep us posted.

@MB, I have something similar thought not as well insulated. It is a $17 beach chair from Bunnings. I was using it under some low hanging pine with a shade cloth draped over me and a shooting stick out front. I saw no deer that night, not because of the setup, I believe, but I did not find that particular chair comfortable for any length of time. I have not given that idea away as I like it that it is low profile and easy to get in and out of the hunting area.

As to lying prone, I don't seem to have an issue if lying on a slight incline. Lying on a de-cline is no fun. Coupled with @Dorkus suggestion of a sleeping bag, which I see as having merit for long night vigils, I shall keep exploring that option.

i have one of those one man duck blind easy to carry and set up other option is get a folding deck chair and cut off the back legs to suit the angle of where you set up and make a collapsible frame out of 20mm pvc pipe to sit in front of the chair and have some hessian sacking hung off it pegged down to hide behind with some spare bits to put on the windward side for shelter. also get a large diameter piece of pvc with screw on end caps that will take the pvc pipes for the hide and hessian and pegs inside it ,make sure the caps are secured with a wire tie then tie it to the nearest fence to keep it safe from the stock then all you have to bring with you is the chair and what you need for the night .
    Micky Duck likes this.

If you use the sleeping bag option remind your missus that you might not get home that night, you may just fall asleep there. Best of luck with whatever method you use.

Double thickness foam mats are great for keeping the cold ground from getting to you. They are a bit slippery though, so any kind of slope tends to result in you slithering down them whether you want to or not. I don't know anything about the slope you're working on, but if there are any narrow tracks, ledges or slumps on the slope you may be able to lay perpendicular to the slope on those? You'll be a bit contorted taking the shot but you can lay down a warm mat, get into a sleeping bag and pull a bit of burlap over you and disappear from wary eyes.

In regards to shooting supine, it's the original target shooter's position, just don't shoot your leg/foot off!

A little fun page on supine shooting, might give some ideas on different ways to pull off a shot: http://www.researchpress.co.uk/image...ing/back09.jpg