Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Freezer
  • 1 Post By DavidGunn
  • 1 Post By planenutz
  • 2 Post By Gapped axe
  • 1 Post By Hayden C
  • 2 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.

Thread: Leaving a car around minginui

Leaving a car around minginui

Anyone know what it’s like leaving a vehicle at one of the car parks around there to access the Whirinaki?

years back when there was lots of issues with cars being broken into on clemants road,my relatives sussed out a good method to keep them safe.
    empty glovebox etc at home and leave glovebox and centre console open,basically leave inside of car bare...most of the breakins were oppotunistic lowlifes looking for wallets etc
    (the issue stopped soon after a group of hunters noticed tyremarks leading in weird direction one evening after finding cars damaged,the marks were followed,young dairyfarm staff found in possession of goods and a golly good beating handed out)
    40mm and charliehorse like this.

It’s been 1080’d 3 out of the last 4 years, wouldn't be my first choice to hunt.
    There are a couple of people in the village that will drop you were you want to go and pick you up for a small fee which lets you leave your car at their place. Pm me if you want details

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    years back when there was lots of issues with cars being broken into on clemants road,my relatives sussed out a good method to keep them safe.
    empty glovebox etc at home and leave glovebox and centre console open,basically leave inside of car bare...most of the breakins were oppotunistic lowlifes looking for wallets etc
    (the issue stopped soon after a group of hunters noticed tyremarks leading in weird direction one evening after finding cars damaged,the marks were followed,young dairyfarm staff found in possession of goods and a golly good beating handed out)
    I live on a road end and always advise to leave gun bags folded in half and gun cases open.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I admit it was a few years ago now, however 3 of us went into that region for the roar one year and after one of the shittiest trips ever (weather etc.) we returned to find the vehicle had been broken into. The louts had tried to steal it and in doing so had wrecked the steering lock, almost flattened the battery and done a bunch of other damage. Three very cold, wet and tired hunters were mighty pissed off. We were a good 30 min drive from any help.

It took me about an hour to trace the wiring and figure out how to start the vehicle. Then the rain came back in so I had to figure out how to get the windscreen wipers to work... and shortly after, how to get the heater and fan to work so we could demist the windscreen. I was pretty proud of myself for getting us out of the shit - because we were firmly up to our necks in it - but I reckon my mate would have shot the culprets had he caught up with them. Explaining to his boss how the company ute got trashed wasn't much fun either.

If I were stupid enough to leave my vehicle in such circumstances again I'd be placing a couple of trail cameras in the bush nearby.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I worked in that area 30yrs ago building huts on the Whirinaki TeHoe tracks. I ha a gang of 5 local track cutters working for me as such were the Park rules at the time. My head man, who was called Donkey, some may know him. Told me to make it look like your car belongs to Maori. Maori tribe affiliation sticker or similar on your back window, maybe an old Kite on the seat ets you get the idea, don't display Queen st latest financial journal in other words.
    Micky Duck and outlander like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Used to hunt the area frequently and never had an issue but I never drove anything flash.

A good trick was to have a Tuhoe sticker on your windscreen
    outlander likes this.

There have been a lot of break in's over the years around there but it's the same anywhere you have these low lifes who will break in . My brother in laws car was broken in on Clements Rd at Te Iringa car park many years back but has been ok since then. Re Freezer's comment on the 1080 drops in the area I think you will still find deer, there is no way it gets them all like a lot think.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I do this whenever I leave the car to go hunting. If there is nothing to steal, presumably even the most stupid thief won't waste time smashing a window. Doesn't stop vandalism though, that's another level of idiocy.
    Micky Duck and Finnwolf like this.

Best to drive a shitter and have good insurance.

I've never had issues with murupara but I still drop it off at a friendly farmers house for the horomunga.

How is the Horomunga hunting these days, @Russian_22. ?

Shot my first deer in there... must have been around 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    How is the Horomunga hunting these days, @Russian_22. ?

Shot my first deer in there... must have been around 1990.
    Still heaps of river flats, river crossings and a hell of a lot of locals with quads, utes and Thermals.

But it's nice.
    planenutz likes this.

Fella at the minginui motor camp ( I think its called) dropped a few of us and a raft off then parked up the car safe at his place and picked us up a few days later for a fee cant remember his name but good dude