Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Lees Creek

HOO

Lees Creek

Wondering if anyone has been up that way recently? Just have a couple of questions about access

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bos
    Mate was up there a few weeks ago. Stayed a couple of nights in the hut and hunted from there. Slim pickings from what he said
    Its a public road so shouldn't be a problem. Swing bridge across the Wairau.
    HOO likes this.

HOO
    Hmm. I rang the station and they seemed pretty iffy about there being access. My understanding was that it’s a public road too. Last time I was up there I needed to park just before a ford that looked a bit too rugged for the station wagon

The open public access ends at the ford just past the ski field road. Past there it is up to Rainbow station whether to allow vehicle access. There is a bridge further down the station that currently requires repair work so the road may not be open as normal this season. You can park up before the gate and walk into Lees from there but it adds about an hour walking along the road. Or contact the station manager and request vehicle access through the locked gate. If he knows you are only going as far as Lees he may give it.
    https://www.rainbowstation.co.nz/get-access
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I heard Rainbow might not be opening this summer due to the 200m slip. Was talking to local digger operator here who used to do the work and he reckoned that all they do now is push the slip off the road where as he used to track high up the slope and create runoffs to stop the slip from happening again so soon.

HOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    The open public access ends at the ford just past the ski field road. Past there it is up to Rainbow station whether to allow vehicle access. There is a bridge further down the station that currently requires repair work so the road may not be open as normal this season. You can park up before the gate and walk into Lees from there but it adds about an hour walking along the road. Or contact the station manager and request vehicle access through the locked gate. If he knows you are only going as far as Lees he may give it.
    https://www.rainbowstation.co.nz/get-access
    I think that’s where I drove to the other day but didn’t explore further. They weren’t that receptive when I called the other day but I didn’t speak to the station manager

Part of the Rainbow valley problem is that a portion of the road is private and not actually on the paper road. There has been a long succession of farm managers that won't let anyone through. Some have gotten quite aggressive, another beautiful valley that is being treated as private land. I've only ever gone into Lees creek when the road is open. Have tried getting permission but to no avail both in person and phoning.
    HOO likes this.

HOO
    I didn’t mention on the phone to them that I was thinking of taking my dog with me but being that the paper road ends at that ford I’d imagine they wouldn’t be that keen on it.

HOO
    Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    Part of the Rainbow valley problem is that a portion of the road is private and not actually on the paper road. There has been a long succession of farm managers that won't let anyone through. Some have gotten quite aggressive, another beautiful valley that is being treated as private land. I've only ever gone into Lees creek when the road is open. Have tried getting permission but to no avail both in person and phoning.
    There was a few people on mountain bikes leaving from the ford heading up but had left before I got a chance to talk to them. I do wonder if someone with a rifle on their back would be met with a little more resistance than a push bike.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO View Post
    There was a few people on mountain bikes leaving from the ford heading up but had left before I got a chance to talk to them. I do wonder if someone with a rifle on their back would be met with a little more resistance than a push bike.

I am pretty sure there is no problem walking the road with a rifle (unloaded, bolt out etc) to get into Lees creek. Bit like going down Poronui Station to get to the Oamaru. Just stick to the road and don't shoot any sheep.
    Steelo likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

HOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I am pretty sure there is no problem walking the road with a rifle (unloaded, bolt out etc) to get into Lees creek. Bit like going down Poronui Station to get to the Oamaru. Just stick to the road and don't shoot any sheep.
    Any idea how they’d feel about a dog on a leash?

@HOO

Apologies for bringing up an old post but wondering did you ever make it into Lees creek with the dog along the road?

I will give Rainbow Station a call when/if I try and head in that way. Dog has up to date sheep measles worming and permits etc.

Cheers FBD

HOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    @HOO

Apologies for bringing up an old post but wondering did you ever make it into Lees creek with the dog along the road?

I will give Rainbow Station a call when/if I try and head in that way. Dog has up to date sheep measles vax and permits etc.

Cheers FBD
    I didn’t, I asked if they’d let me take the dog across the river and the guy said he’d check and get back to me, never got back to me and didn’t reply to a follow up email so I just went minus the dog.
    Might want to check the poison drops in the area as I think they’ve done some up there recently too

Fat belly Dog likes this.

Thanks HOO for the feedback,

No worries if cant get up Lees Creek, looks like plenty of country to explore on the eastern side of Raglan ranges that would keep me busy for a lifetime anyway, just a bit further to walk in.

Thanks for the heads up I will check out the pesticide summary before heading anywhere with the dog.

Cheers FBD

HOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    Thanks HOO for the feedback,

No worries if cant get up Lees Creek, looks like plenty of country to explore on the eastern side of Raglan ranges that would keep me busy for a lifetime anyway, just a bit further to walk in.

Thanks for the heads up I will check out the pesticide summary before heading anywhere with the dog.

Cheers FBD
    If you’ve got a 4wd you can get pretty far up the branch/Leatham and then go on foot although I haven’t been up there for a while so I don’t know what the track is like. Makes the walk a lot shorter. Can get busy on the weekends

Fat belly Dog likes this.