Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree42Likes
  • 17 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad
  • 2 Post By charliehorse
  • 12 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By rugerman
  • 1 Post By Woody
  • 3 Post By nor-west
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Brian

Thread: Little vid journal from last 2 days.

Little vid journal from last 2 days.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Nice work, I shot a hind last night and missed a stag ( rushed up hill standing shot) Round two tomorrow & Sat
    Tahr likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

You two are a couple of regular slayers @Tahr
    Tahr and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    You two are a couple of regular slayers @Tahr
    Its @Brian He's the ring leader.

Name:  20220323_170316.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  1.13 MB
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Nice work guys
    Everyone needs an enabler tahr
    Tahr likes this.

I Iike the smile on black dog.
    Tahr likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

great stuff.hoping the meat from stag left overnight was still good??? its not something Ive done often either,only once due to obscenely difficult terrain ,but luckily stag fell in snow patch so was still fine following day,the crap terrain hadnt inmprooved any!!!

Tux is getting grey around the muzzle, bit like you 2.
    Tahr, Brian and Micky Duck like this.

Nice going, good shot Brian in that first clip, pretty windy looking.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    great stuff.hoping the meat from stag left overnight was still good??? its not something Ive done often either,only once due to obscenely difficult terrain ,but luckily stag fell in snow patch so was still fine following day,the crap terrain hadnt inmprooved any!!!
    I wasn't very impressed with either the idea of leaving the meat, or eating it. So I took the meat from the top side that was in the breeze and left the stuff against the ground. It did look and smell ok though. And then I got onto another stag and had to travel quite a distance to get onto the face I saw him on and shagged around up hill and down dale chasing him to no avail. Then when I was an hours walk from the face he had been on I looked back and there he was laying down in the scrub. Got closer and had an awkward shot at him and missed, but still had to check so back I went again. Carrying that damned meat all of the while. I wish I had left it on him in the end. And then that evening I got the spiker and had to carry all is meat out (but just for about an hour). I was buggered that night. To cap it off the mattress in the hut has got bed bugs in it and I couldn't sleep. Thank heavens it rained all night so we pulled the pin in the morning for home Wife looked at my back and arms and Im covered in bites. They are even on my face and hands. Bloody things. Next time I'm there I will take something to spray the mattresses with. A day later and Im still itchy.

@ANOTHERHUNTER the stag I chased and missed was across the creek. I was back at the bottom cabbage tree when I saw him again. So that was 2 trips across that damned creek and back again. Its a steep little bitch. The one I shot and left for the night was on the gate side down by the creek.
    Last edited by Tahr; 25-03-2022 at 03:15 PM.
    ANOTHERHUNTER and Micky Duck like this.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Nice going, good shot Brian in that first clip, pretty windy looking.

180 yards. Just a stiff breeze - camera mike is pretty sensitive.
    We had seen them early on and an hour later they were still there. We agreed that we would never get easier or juicer meat because it was just that short haul to the ridge, so thats what we did. Of course, we couldn't stop at just that one for the trip though...

It was a bugger that they weren't roaring because thats really why we were there.
    Last edited by Tahr; 25-03-2022 at 03:09 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    - Rumi

Left the hut door open because it was raining and there's no kennel. Guess thats where the bugs came from.
    Didn't bite me they don't like the taste of us insensitive bastards but they kept me awake flying into my face.
    I'll take a drum over next time for a kennel
    Micky Duck likes this.

the likes of mortien crawling insect sprays work wonders...I sprayed an old forest service hut inside and out around eaves a few years ago.... it not only killed all the bugs n beatles inside the hut...but by next day...after the headache causing smell had gone.... even the sandflies and blowfies kept away,funny as hell when blowfly flew in hut door and did quick U turn and buggered off into the open. the boys had been sleeping inside mozzie nets for years..but not anymore. might be best to spray BEFORE you go home to keep the headache from getting you,them pesky bugs wont be around by next visit.