Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Living up to your name

Living up to your name

So this story ends with @Pop Shot, @199p and I sitting over a slip contemplating how in the hell I had managed to clean miss a spiker at 160yds - not once but three times!

We had met in town at a gentlemanly hour and made the short drive out to the road end together. The plan was to head up to an area that 199p had scoped out ages ago and thought warranted another visit. It was more of an exploration mission than a hard core hunt. The other two decided they couldn't be bothered carrying a rifle so I dragged along my 7mm Rem Mag (otherwise we would have just been three losers on a romantic bush walk).

From the road end we made our way up the creek to the ridge where 199p remembered we needed to head up. The bush was thick with sign of deer, some even suggesting we had recently displaced them as we made a noisy slog up the hill, making no attempt to be sneaky. At one point, popshot dropped to a knee and pointed into the scrub and whistling as I chambered a round and came up on aim to see the rear end of a big animal ghosting away quietly at less than 20m. No shot presented itself so we pressed on only to bump another group in the thick shit less than 200m further on.

We found the spot that had got 199p all moist last time he was there - A nice lookout over a series of clearings on a big slip. We sat down and began glassing while talking shit - Again making no effort to keep the noise down. It obviously worked in our favour as within 10 mins a hind, along with her yearling and a young spiker, wandered out into the open looking around for the source of the din. They were quite alert but not exactly alarmed.

I settled the crosshair on the shoulder of the spiker as popshot ranged the shot and 199p looked on through his flash as binos. Nice and relaxed, steady breathing, good rest from prone, squeeze the titty and the rem mag barks. All three trot about 20m and stop, looking around wondering what happened. I quickly chamber another round and again settle on the engine room of the spiker. The rem mag whispers once more. The hind and yearling bolt for the bush, the spiker takes two steps and stops. "He's down" I proclaim proudly. "Nah, one more, one more" retorts popshot. So I chuck another up the spout and send another dose his way. He doesn't need another invitation to take his leave and heads for the bush line looking somewhat perturbed but uninjured.

What the hell happened? Am I that bad a shot? Have I bumped my scope? Buck fever? What the fucking fuck!?

I leave the boys at the lookout along with my day pack while I head down and see if I can find any evidence of a hit. Nothing, zip, nada - Not a hair, spot of blood, handwritten note with a sadface, nothing! I followed the footprints for a good 20-30m across open grass and into the bush without a shred of evidence of a deer with anything more than a small fright and hurt feelings.

I made the painful ascent back to the lookout feeling dejected and astounded that I could miss such an easy target, three times!

The boys gave me a bit of a ribbing but in general were pretty good about it. I still couldn't figure out what had happened... Until this morning - Racking my brain and talking through what happened with @HNTMAD, he asked when I had last zeroed the rem mag? "With you, a month or so ago" was my answer. His reply chilled my blood "Didn't you and @Philipo mess around with it since then?".

What a dork! Since I last had it at the range I had taken the scope off and messed with the rings, adjusted the position for better eye relief and generally tinkered. I then threw it in the safe and forgot to zero it and it cost me big time!

Yes I am a loser and am kicking myself. To add insult to injury, I had my last pack of venison for dinner that night. That spiker would have been my first Ruahine deer after three months of trying, and only my second on public land since I took up hunting 2 years ago. Moral of the story - Don't be a Dorkus.
    Last edited by Dorkus; 13-09-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Oh mate, it's all good, some still miss at that range even when gun is shooting straight.

It will come together, seeing country and animals is a gd start, moves you from tramping to armed tramping.

Hamish

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Dorkus and Blisters like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Ha ha crack up, cheers for the yarn
    Beaker, Dorkus and Blisters like this.

slow day in the office bro?

Good write up man you can definitely be the nominated forum poster

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    slow day in the office bro?

Good write up man you can definitely be the nominated forum poster

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I went to a meeting this morning. It was productive. That's enough for today
    199p, Freezer, Beaker and 1 others like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Go hunting/shooting more often. Then you won't 'forget' things like that.
    veitnamcam, Ackley, Gibo and 1 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I don't really think I need to comment eh bro

Great story, shame about the misses but shit happens sometimes and you won't for those "little" things again in a hurry. Sounds like you need to do return trip soon, plenty of animals about.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Fucking Philipo, it's always his fault.

Good yarn Dorkus
    Philipo, puku, veitnamcam and 2 others like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Fucking Philipo, it's always his fault.

Good yarn Dorkus
    @Philipo the little shit needs any advantage he can get
    Philipo likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    lol, We only adjusted the scope for eye relief, should of been "close enough"

I must apologise to Dorky as have been meaning to get some loading done & get him out for some shooting practice, It's still on the "to do list" just busy as fuk at the mo & seems Dorky's always away on dirty weekends with his misses hahaha
    Dorkus likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Hahaha holy hell thats the first I've ever heard of someone forgetting to sight their scope in!

Hard luck mate at least you remembered to put some bullets in it when you started walking
    Dorkus likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Shit Dorkus that is a a dumbarse oversight. Ha ha ha ha I am relegating you to Rookie status.
    Dorkus likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

At least you didn't forget your bolt!

That has Penguin Class written all over it!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough