Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WillB

Thread: Looking for info on Tararua Forest Park

Looking for info on Tararua Forest Park

Hey All,

I am heading to Wellington in a few weeks and will be squeezing in a few days in the Tararua forest park. I haven't been before, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on good areas/entry points or even which general areas id be better off spending my time.
    the DOC website wasn't much help this time unfortunately.
    I'm pretty new to all this so anything help/info is appreciated.

Cheers guys

There are a number of entry points. Hunting spot x book be a gd start

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

i would head up to shannon and go into the dam and take the rd to the end to number 1 reservoir and take the track and follow the mangahao river ,you would need to get to at least to the Harris creek and maybe camp around there ,or just camp at the rd end and day hunt some of the creeks in the area

Also look up smiths creek. Check out rimutakas too

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

HOO
    Pretty much any road end that goes into the tararuas. Stalk up the creeks or walk a bit further and get up the tops. Depends what you’re into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey if you are new to the outdoors in general as well as the Tararuas in particular do bear in mind that the Tararuas can be unforgiving at any time of year - plan for safety and watch the weather. Welcome to our corner of paradise!
    Bagheera likes this.

If you are experienced enough to be safe out there then I suggest that the hunting is best beyond two to three hours walk from road ends. You can always get lucky though. Flag Holdsworth area. There are better places to hunt. Think nice wide river valleys and tops areas. You are fine hunting from huts. Aside From Holdsworth any valley showing good grass flats will be OK and same goes for tops. From Jan on the tops are worth a look, plus high mossy beech forest, plus slip hunting higher up creeks. Flats are burned off from January but worth a look if pissing down or just after. The country is really tough in many places and the weather savage. This is not a place for the inexperienced. Everyone talks about the South Island but the Tarries sit on Cook Strait. Worst wind in any mountain range in NZ. If you can get the weather right they are great. Look for cloud coming over the tops on the eastern side and if flowing over is visible then flag the tops. It can be calm in the farm and howling up high. Smiths Creek gets hammered but you can get lucky. Hope this helps. Plenty deer in there especially in the bush as no one hunts it any more. All the best.

The nicest easiest area is up the Tauherinikau (via Smiths Creek). Try going from Walls Whare over to Cone Hut. Walk in to Totara flats (Waiohine) is also a good introduction and there are deer there. There will be other people, including camping and trampers, so take care and represent hunters well to them.

I'd try the eastern side for your first trip, it's much more forgiving.

As well as wind, rain, storms, thick leatherwood and cliffs, the rivers can be dangerous so think twice before you step into the Waiohine or the Otaki - use a bridge if one's nearby. Check out which are the notorious gorges and stay out of them.