Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: looking for a mountain hideway

looking for a mountain hideway

Hi fellas, just throwing this one out there in hopes someone might have something or maybe know of something.. I'm moving over, permanently from Oz to the magnificent SOUTH ISLAND as soon as borders allow entry & would like a old falling down house... really falling down!!! bach, maybe just a section of a acre up to 5 or so. Must be South Island, off grid just fine, way out of town , no neighbours type place. Would ideally prefer west of C/Church & going north along the range. Budget around 250K. Yes, I watch trade me everyday... looking for that hideway that someone might part with . Thanks guys

HOO
    Might be best looking on the west coast with that budget but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBL
    There is a few options around the greater Murchison area........

thanks H, yep get it that the west C is cheaper...just searching for a east coast pozy in my budget...gotta ask hey!!

you now of something DBL or just whats advertised??

HOO
    Yeah no harm in asking that’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBL: that little cottage about 30k's up the matakitaki that sold about a year or so ago is exactly what I am looking for

DBL
    Have a deep look at what is advertised on TM because there are a number of listings where they are open to breaking up the property:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/property...2?bof=hpddFMZg

Also, a few listings may actually consist of multiple titles and whilst not advertised, the vendors may be open to selling individual titles if approached. Use this tool help to ID individual titles:

https://www.topofthesouthmaps.co.nz/app/

That's inline with what we did. Now we just need to live here for another 30 years before being considered locals
    Moa Hunter and Finnwolf like this.

great advice... thanks DBL. Yes becoming a local... will we live that long!!!

DBL
    Good luck. There was one up the Tutaki that I thought might be suitable but it looks like that one is gone as well. Property around Murch and Westport has been selling like hot cakes lately so you may need to pounce quick if you see something you like.

Quote Originally Posted by daveg View Post
    great advice... thanks DBL. Yes becoming a local... will we live that long!!!
    We are South Island locals that brought a remote block years ago like you are after, as my wife got into landscape painting so l was able to convince her that she could paint while l hunted. I found the best bet was to really sit down & have a look/think at what areas serve your purpose, allowing for future encroachment & then talk formally with local Real estate /Auction agents that have a proven history in dealing in the area & them .

Our Weekender /Remote Hut block is part of a large holding in a area that was too remote for the aging farmer to utilize & he would only sell if he knew the new owner would not interfere/whinge about his operations .We have now become close friends although they were initially stand offish, but after helping repair their farm house & sheds after a big storm 6 years ago? & giving a hand when asked we rocked up at our Hut shortly afterward & found a large rain water tank had been gifted to us & other gear that their insurance had payed out on, we now call each other true mates .

I found the best bet was to really sit down & have a look at what areas serve your purpose allowing for future encroachment & then talk formally with local Real estate /Auction agents that have a proven history in dealing in them . Even as locals it took a while for us to find one that suited but after talking to the agent who knew of the block that was NOT listed , he took care of everything & everyone was happy with the outcome.The key is to find a RE/Auctioneer/Stock agent that has known the locals for years so has a ear to the ground on what may be up for offer or considered.

You will need to hurry up as we heard that mob who builds the Doomsday bunkers for the Hollyweirds & money launders, that they have been overwhelmed with demand & people wanting smaller bunkers for more affordable blocks,l imagine it will only be a matter of time these Doomsday Bunker suppliers will supply small set up blocks to supply the Zombie Flu runaway crews.
    tetawa, tikka, madmaori and 4 others like this.

thanks bunji, talking to as many folk as I can trying to unearth the " little treasure " as you did... well done!

the doomsday bunker crowd were doing thier thing here before covoid.....up in mackenzie basin...or so Ive heard from sparkies doing the work on bunkers.....
    look around ikimatua greymouth,hokitika rural....plenty of funky wee small holdings out there.
    stingray likes this.

Have a look at Waikaia in Southland.
    Preview

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

T.S. Eliot

Don't look near here your budget is half of what you would need