Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 2 Post By cambo
  • 2 Post By SiB
  • 1 Post By Strummer

Thread: LPG gas bottle refills

LPG gas bottle refills

Hi Guys n Gals
    Santa brought me a two burner camp stove for Christmas. I've been around a couple of my local petrol stations trying to get the 4 kg bottle filled but they only do the 9kg swapa bottles.

Do any of you CHCH folks know where I can get the smaller bottle filled up? Ideally on the North or East side -I'm in the Queenspark area. Cheers.

I've had mine filled at two different Challenge stations (the other petrol stations refused) but check first if they are planning on charging for 9kg or 4kg.

Banned
    A mate has one of those crafty little tubes that lets you connect a full upturned 9 kg to another empty bottle that sits right way up with vent open to do home refills.
    Only a few bucks and could be worth looking at if it's a hassle long term getting the 4kg ones filled
    veitnamcam likes this.

Hey thanks guys
    Which Challenge was it that charged for the 4kg Rupert?
    I'll try googling that refilling tube MH...any idea where your friend got it?

Rock Gas on Byron St fills all bottle sizes
    gadgetman and Padox like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

SiB
    Decanting LPG cylinders is risky - you WILL spill gas (it’s heavier than air) and want to be in a very well ventilated area, no flames etc. Personally I top up the tiny ones, but anything else goes to the proper station.

AliExpress will probably have what you’re after, but be clear what the fittings are - there are several types in use; POL, Coleman etc

I have several 4kg bottles. Much more sensible size for weekend
    camping/hunting. One I took on a two week trip still had plenty of gas after 14 days solid use.

I suggest you invest in a second one, find your local LPG station happy to top up, and then you’re always confident your bottle is full every trip.

Check out your local bottle certifier - they often sell re-certified bottles at cheaper than new prices.

Invest in a BBQ type lighter. Must more civilised. If yours has a piezo lighter built in, assume the worst- it will fail when you don’t have a lighter with you
    erniec and Moa Hunter like this.

Banned
    Sorry footsore no idea. It would be easy to make one with a the regulator supply tube and fitting from an old buggered barby at the transfer station plus another fitting

This place is the cheapest around. They say they fill "all sizes" --> https://www.challenge.net.nz/Challen...hallenge-opawa
    dannyb likes this.

I think the Caltex on Harewood Rd, Bishopdale does them.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

https://www.facebook.com/Geraldine-H...8175026177195/
    If you're passing through Geraldine the hire centre does 4kg bottles and you pay per kilo. Just check hours to make sure they open.

Jeeze you're a helpful lot of buggers

Many thanks all