Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Man dies while hunting......

Impure Lead Flinger
    our sport does not need this... I just this week explained to my young 16 yr old brother why we werent shooting at a obvious deer shape in a manuka stand on a ridge... An ear and a nose just wasnt enough.... Later on he asked why I disnt pull the trigger again.. Because being 95% sure wasnt enough....
    Shooter likes this.

have been contacted by the Southland Times for a comment on the Accident already.
    Why would i comment on an Accident that i know nothing about on behalf of the NZDA.
    It is a real shame that this has happened again, this time so close to home i feel for the families of all involved.

It wont be long I think before there is a push to ban all night shooting private property or not
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Some people are just plain stupid and should not have any sort of weapon , case in point -hope he never touched another fire arm as guys like this ultimatley cause more useless laws for safe shooters , . Poor familys his and the dead guys

This is a lot worse:

Road death statistics | NZ Transport Agency

11 dead this month already. 289 for the last 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    It wont be long I think before there is a push to ban all night shooting private property or not
    Be a tuff one for them to bring in considering how many pests are controlled at night. They could consider only rimfire or by permit . To tell you the truth numbers of game animals would pick up if they did ban spotlighting and would make it better for foot hunters who actuality no how to hunt bag a few more.

Another brutal reminder to us all. To close to home this time.

Absolutely gutted to hear this. Rest in Peace mate and my deepest condolences to your family

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Fella's,

An absolute tragedy but ALWAYS REMEMBER RULE #1, when Hunting- IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET (BEYOND ALL DOUBT)!

Doh!
    Homer

Very sad and condolences to the families.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post

An absolute tragedy but ALWAYS REMEMBER RULE #1, when Hunting- IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET (BEYOND ALL DOUBT)!

Homer
    They are the correct words but I would guess that beforehand every shooter involved in this sort of accident would have told you that that is what they do.Every time this comes up the same simple responses are typed on keyboards and spoken about while leaning on bars across the country so the question becomes how do you stop the "identify your target" becoming just lip service, a mantra thats regurgitated endlessly until theres a moving brown something in the scope? I don't think there is one simple answer because everyone will react/behave differently to the same situation.We need to find our own solution.
    For myself being selective is the key,I don't feel any pressure to bring home a deer and I make sure I know what I'm shooting,what sex and roughly what age. Out of the numerous deer I'v seen so far this year I'v shot 2.If you take the time you will have gone along way to avoiding a mistake.In this sense I hate the "if its red its dead" "if its brown its down " sayings. not because I want to impose my standards on any else but I don't like the inference.I'm sure others will disagree and have ideas of their own which is great if they work for them.
    el borracho likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

I think of it as something like this: Rabbit,possum or a deer I mean really at the end of the day its not worth chancing on something that could ban me from doing the thing I love most in life, in other words the above mentioned aren't worth chancing on.... If in doubt unload and put the safety on its that simple.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I think of it as something like this: Rabbit,possum or a deer I mean really at the end of the day its not worth chancing on something that could ban me from doing the thing I love most in life, in other words the above mentioned aren't worth chancing on.... If in doubt unload and put the safety on its that simple.......
    It's even worse than that mate. Someone cocks up like that and we all pay for it. Fellas like that that can't even identify what they're shooting at make us all seem like incompetent f*cks. If you were an average joe that didn't have anything to do with firearms and you kept reading these kind of stories I wouldn't blame you for having an anti position on guns.

I hope that fella knows he hasn't just taken one life, he has ruined the lives of a whole family because he wasnt showing any respect for the sport of hunting and the responsibility that goes with it.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Ive shit more than enough deer now.... Im not overly fussed on them as food.... If I dont have a good shot or an easy/ok retreive I just wont take it....

Like aunty sneeze says really....

They keep saying that more often than not its the experienced guys but its not its the guys that hunt once or twice a year or young guys out on the light time and time again.............

Now I used to spotlight a hell of alot and deer really stick out like dogsballs in the light, the bastards literally glow.. So what the hell are they upto...