Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Cooee


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree17Likes
  • 5 Post By Tahr
  • 2 Post By Nickoli
  • 8 Post By Sarvo
  • 2 Post By Woody

Thread: Mangatainoka doc hut

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    180

    Mangatainoka doc hut

    Hi everyone,

    Iím potentially looking at a winter trip in here. Iíve heard the bush is smashed from the big snow dump a couple of years back. Can anyone give me some insights into the area? Is it worth a look?

    Cheers
    Hebe

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mangakino
    Posts
    964
    Pmed you


    Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I’m potentially looking at a winter trip in here. I’ve heard the bush is smashed from the big snow dump a couple of years back. Can anyone give me some insights into the area? Is it worth a look?

    Cheers
    Hebe
    Theres plenty of windfall/snow damage, still huntable though. Some nice bush in spots although the deer have usually been parked up in the shite spots

    Some nice little scrubby slips up a couple of the side creeks. Worth a crack, but like anywhere this time of year you will need to cover some ground to find where the deer are

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South
    Posts
    1,071
    I found the bush in there to be tight but there were plenty of clearings, slips and creeks to hunt and certainly no shortage of animals but it was at a different time of year I hunted it.

    The meat safe isnít fly proof unless itís been fixed.

    The area also has ALOT of ongaonga and for some reason itís very prevalent in there as opposed to other areas of the Kaimanawas/Kawekas.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    8,775
    Its one of the areas identified by the Sika Foundation as suffering canopy collapse - for various reasons, Sika don't cause the collapse but stifle the re-generation. The Sika hind population is way too high and the stag population low and too young. The average age of the hinds is very high and their condition is very poor. Many of them are so light they only have a couple of fawns in their whole lifetime.
    Go in there and shoot lots of hinds.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    I found the bush in there to be tight but there were plenty of clearings, slips and creeks to hunt and certainly no shortage of animals but it was at a different time of year I hunted it.

    The meat safe isn’t fly proof unless it’s been fixed.

    The area also has ALOT of ongaonga and for some reason it’s very prevalent in there as opposed to other areas of the Kaimanawas/Kawekas.
    Ah shit about the onga, i hunt with a dog so that may put me off a bit.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    8,775
    Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Ah shit about the onga, i hunt with a dog so that may put me off a bit.
    Its not so potent in the winter.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Its not so potent in the winter.
    .... can still kill a dog. Hebe - treat your dog as you would your bare legs and you will be sweet.
    Tahr and rugerman like this.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    .... can still kill a dog. Hebe - treat your dog as you would your bare legs and you will be sweet.
    Thanks Tahr and Nickoli for the info. The dog got whacked by some a couple of winters ago...up Dead Dog Hut actually. I’m pretty keen not to repeat that. But As long as its not pure faces of it i think we should be alright.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Thanks Tahr and Nickoli for the info. The dog got whacked by some a couple of winters ago...up Dead Dog Hut actually. I’m pretty keen not to repeat that. But As long as its not pure faces of it i think we should be alright.
    Go get 'em Hebe - I'm very familiar with the Dead Dog Hut area; Dad & I do the trap lines into there from Herricks Hut and up to No Man's Road. Got to say the Onga Onga in there is pretty mild compared to other areas though. Keep a good watch on your furry mate - ensure your dog doesn't get a face full of it as that really hits their breathing (from what I've seen with my old dog) as I'm sure you've seen.

  11. #11
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough - Pelorus Sound
    Posts
    5,308
    I carried a boned out Sika Stag out of there - non stop to Boyd's - got there 3pm
    The head of the "other" Forum had a beautiful Trout cooked - that is right it was 1st October
    Liked the place
    End of my Possum season and I was as fit as a fiddlers bitch
    And 35 years younger than now :-(

    Stopped at Tussock for a midday brew up
    Raining too - all the way

    Anyone selling youth on here :-(
    Tahr, tetawa, Woody and 5 others like this.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Go get 'em Hebe - I'm very familiar with the Dead Dog Hut area; Dad & I do the trap lines into there from Herricks Hut and up to No Man's Road. Got to say the Onga Onga in there is pretty mild compared to other areas though. Keep a good watch on your furry mate - ensure your dog doesn't get a face full of it as that really hits their breathing (from what I've seen with my old dog) as I'm sure you've seen.
    Yep, we just got unlucky I think. We were on a deer and he had just popped onto a wee rise ahead of me but out of my sight. I put him on the stop , turned out he’d sat down in a clump of it. Poor bugger shivered all night infront of the fire.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Yep, we just got unlucky I think. We were on a deer and he had just popped onto a wee rise ahead of me but out of my sight. I put him on the stop , turned out he’d sat down in a clump of it. Poor bugger shivered all night infront of the fire.
    Its not to bad in there for onga onga, doesn't grow in massive thickets like lower down but heaps of knee high stuff

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    CNI
    Posts
    4,762
    See your vet and tell him about the nettle. I always get antihistamine for dogs and carry it in with me.
    tetawa and rugerman like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

    Matsuo Basho.

  15. #15
    Member rugerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Horowhenua
    Posts
    1,414
    As Woody said, you can carry some antihistamine for the woofer. The "human" stuff is fine so you can use it as well if you get hit, but check on the dose for the dog with the vet. That Onga Onga is nasty shit, I reckon it would make a great alternative to razor wire for the boundary fence

    Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Yep, we just got unlucky I think. We were on a deer and he had just popped onto a wee rise ahead of me but out of my sight. I put him on the stop , turned out heíd sat down in a clump of it. Poor bugger shivered all night infront of the fire.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Mangatainoka NO2
    By JaydenMcN in forum Hunting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-04-2021, 05:26 PM
  2. Mangatainoka 1
    By Sika Seeker in forum Hunting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-04-2021, 07:46 AM
  3. Mangatainoka hut Kaweka's
    By mushpush in forum Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-03-2017, 03:37 PM
  4. Mangatainoka Heads Pad sorry no deershot
    By Splash in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-05-2012, 06:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!