Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Manson hut

Manson hut

Hi all, taking my first chopper trip to manson hut in a couple of weeks. keen to hear anyones efforts of good glassing spots up there?

can anyone recommend any ridges to walk up ? going in for a few days, so wanna get a semi head start if possible.

Caretaker
    Watch for animals right down down down low on the faces. The less altitude the better

And don’t talk into cameras or while filming yourself combing your hair or prepping eating/food

Be as quiet as you can, operate with the view to cause minimum disturbance and minimum disruption.

Get into an area, evaluate, film animals if need be, harvest if required, then back away so there’s no disruption, stay off the ridge lines, use the breeze to your advantage.

Have fun and be safe
    ishoot10s, 30late and Finnwolf like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Watch for animals right down down down low on the faces. The less altitude the better

And don’t talk into cameras or while filming yourself combing your hair or prepping eating/food

Be as quiet as you can, operate with the view to cause minimum disturbance and minimum disruption.

Get into an area, evaluate, film animals if need be, harvest if required, then back away so there’s no disruption, stay off the ridge lines, use the breeze to your advantage.

Have fun and be safe
    they look like they would be quite big recoveries there so id imagine to choose your shot wisely, im assuming sika would be dropping antler about now ? or not quite yet ?

Kawekakid is in there this week. Ask him in a few days time. I was invited but not well enough still 3 months after my first jab
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Kawekakid is in there this week. Ask him in a few days time. I was invited but not well enough still 3 months after my first jab
    Perfrect! Thanks woody! And hope you get better soon... stories like this make me wait a little longer...

We were in there early Dec last year saw a few deer moving around all we shot were very skinny we saw most from the ridge heading to Kiwi mouth.
    Early morning produced the good but that ment 4.30am starts heading down the ridge for an hour in dark to be watching big slips at first light.
    Most shots were 350-500 yards.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

The 350-500 yards is easy shooting. Skinny animals are a pain. I'm mainly going for the experience, and to do a butcher run of pure sika sausages etc the early starts are fine with me ,we go in Sunday and out on Friday. So have a weekend to recover etc. Is the water source good? Cooking ? Do we just bring our own pots and pans ?

Deer that live in that environment won't have condition on till December at the earliest, they do it hard in the winter.
    keengunNic and Larskramer like this.

If staying at Manson hut it is pretty well stocked pots and pans but I took a double cooker with a hot plate.
    Also good idea to take some coal as we had one day that turned very cold and used the fire all day.
    Hut has a water tank

keengunNic and Larskramer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    If staying at Manson hut it is pretty well stocked pots and pans but I took a double cooker with a hot plate.
    Also good idea to take some coal as we had one day that turned very cold and used the fire all day.
    Hut has a water tank

perfect, thanks imp

@Larskramer I feel like you’re always hunting.. lucky bugger!
    Larskramer likes this.

If you want a change it's worth taking a trip down to Kiwi Mouth for a night also. Reasonable hunting up the track behind the hut and trout in the river.
    Larskramer likes this.

Don't really do freshwater fishing, only sea water. But I feel we should see a few, prob get a few. Just got to chose a rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    @Larskramer I feel like you’re always hunting.. lucky bugger!
    Get out every other week basically. I don't even post much of what we do shoot and get I'm out this Saturday also.

Just back from 3 days in the Kaimanawas, hunting valley sides around the 1200 meter mark.
    The animals were coming out pretty much bang on 6pm, then spending 1-2 hours feeding their way down through the Monowai till they hit the pumice terraces, before hitting the tussock stream edges on dark. Unfortunately I couldn't creep any further forward without showing myself, and the pumice terraces were at 330m, so outside my range comfort. This morning I checked out the faces they were feeding on, and I'm fucked if I can see what is so nutritious there!!! Jeeze they can exist on bugger all.

All mobs seen were mums with yearlings at foot. Come December mum will kick them out of house and home and they will become tasty freezer fillers. But I will need to spend some time at the range getting comfortable with shooting out to 350m I think.
    tetawa, erniec and Woody like this.