Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Meat Bags

Meat Bags

Anyone using meat bags, hunters element etc, for carrying meat. May be a silly question but wondering if they stop the blood leeching through or are they glorified pillow cases. Just looking for the best alternative to plastic bags for the long carries on meat hunting trips. Currently get back to vehicle and transfer meat into a chillibin filled with ice packs for the drive home.

I have an old school huntech canvas meat bag, it doesn't stop the blood completely but enough to no need to wash my bag after every hunt....depends how you do your cut up too....at the end of the hunt I just wash the canvas and pillow case

Hamish

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

A mate has a old pack liner/dry bay he puts all hes meat in, pays to let meat cool down if possible. keeps his pack clean

MB
    The Huntech meat bag is pretty much blood proof, but large/heavy. What about a dry bag? Pretty cheap. Why are you looking for an alternative? Personally, I like meat to be stored in a breathable material, so use a Huntech Pikau. I don't wear a backpack when hunting, so the Pikau goes on my back when I have something to put in it.

I use a pillow case. We try to hang the meat in a tree before putting it into a plastic bag then into our pack for the carry out.
    I think if it's leak proof it's not breathing.
    HNTMAD, Micky Duck and MB like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

I always stick the deer (like you would a pig) when I get to it, turn it (head first) down hill and pump its chest with my boot a few times. Especially important for neck and head shots. I reckon it results in a lot less blood through the meat, and that artery near the hip joint doesn't gush so much if you cut it.

The Hunters Element bags breathe and wash out easily. They have replaced my pillow cases. Whatever you use should breathe.

Also, those packs that can carry the meat between the pack and the frame keep your pack and contents blood free. Ive got one of those too. Bit of a gadget man.
    Last edited by Tahr; 09-02-2021 at 01:50 PM.
    Nathan F, Trout, mikee and 4 others like this.

Good wee trick there Tahr,down hill.

Thanks for the replies, some good insights. I have not bothered bleeding a deer before but would give it a crack. Normally spending a whole day out or overnight so always have a pack.
    The bomb likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I always stick the deer (like you would a pig) when I get to it, turn it (head first) down hill and pump its chest with my boot a few times.
    Basically doing chest compressions. Good work!

Like Tahr, I try to bleed deer if possible, and I use pillow cases too. Get em cheap from a second hand shop. If meat has been cooled I'm happy to pop into large plastic bag for the carry out.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Basically doing chest compressions. Good work!
    Try as I might, Ive never had one come back to life though
    viper, Micky Duck, MB and 4 others like this.

From memory it’s 2 breaths for every 40 chest compressions. You’re not doing it right but good on you for trying.��
    Steve123 likes this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

I have a huntec canvas meat bag which I hump round the hills in case I get a deer which never fucken happens , Christ I've done some miles lately.
    They are heavy but work the one time I used it. I also use ( bullshit: carry) large plastic rubbish bags, cheap, double line them, compress into nothing. I presume they won't effect the meat if I ever knock over Deer.

I use a canvas pikau, not in front of me and can't remember if hunter or Ridgeline, one of those..it can fit 3 medium goat carcases field dressed and skinned - just. It rolls up tight to fit in my daypack and has nylon shoulder straps that cut like a bastard with 3 goats in it but better than dragging..the neck has some cord to tie it closed. Blood will seep slowly thru but bugger all. Turned inside out I put it through on a cold wash along with my hunting clothes and hang it out on the line to dry. It has a slight residual kind of meat-fat smell but not offensive. Its a bit heavier than pillow cases and a bit bulkier than I like but breaths and is fly proof.

At an NZDA Sika Seminar got put onto making similar in whatever size you want from Bunnings weed mat material. Got a roll for about 20 bucks but not made up yet. Guy giving the seminar has hunted Sika 30 odd years and has landed on this stuff. Very light, very strong, fly proof, breaths but I'm guessing not as blood proof as canvas.

Will make one up when I can get the sewing machine out and set up without being noticed...

you DONT WANT blood proof.....let it hang/cool for as long as you can...even 10-15 minutes makes a big difference....then put in your bin liner bag inside your pack,,,,,get it out of plastic as soon as you can...let it breath..let it drain....
    my day bag is basically a big polarfleese sack...with bit of seatbelt for straps and 2 tennis balls to tie seatbelt to..old school pikau with modern materials..can fit meat from front half a big deer in it....back wheels come out in one piece on shoulders....
    Dama dama likes this.