Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Meat hunt contacts

Meat hunt contacts

does anyone have a contact for paid meat hunt that they would recomend?
    I am thinking of taking my son on a paid hunt. I wouldnt pay for a hunt myself but I think some success early on is important for morale.
    after a couple of hunts with me with no success I dont want him to lose interest.
    what do you guys think? or should I just make him do some yards?
    I was lucky enough to run into three hinds in a creek on my first hunt ever....been hooked ever since.
    Hey diddle diddle, aim for the middle.

Banned
    How far are you willing to travel?.I know a great place in the lower Top Island perfect for what your after.Pm if interested Mate.

Hey man as a young hunter my first few trips, was about 7 or 8 at the time weren't successful, but one year me and the old man got the biggest stag I have seen to date, when I was about 11 I think, hooked ever since. For me personally what got me hooked was what I had with dad the special something every hunter feels when you and whoever your with are standing around the animal. as most of you know words cant describe it so for me personally I wouldnt throw him on a paid hunt, just keep hitting back the blocks, right place right time. But then saying that myself or the old man have never paid for a hunt, always DoC land in the central north island where there are deer. So if numbers are a bit low could be an option? How old is your son if you dont mind me asking ? The biggest thing when I was younger was staying focused and not standing on the big sticks every two minutes, Best of luck with whatever you decide.
    Bullers243 likes this.

just out of interest what do you guys pay for your meat hunts?

As a Dad, I would choose to teach this young man perseverance, application and appreciation. Those things are not bought.

There is some great DOC land and hunting, and i would be happy to assist in getting him a deer. How old is your son I wonder?
    DAF, veitnamcam, craigc and 19 others like this.

Good on ya Tahr

free ones are tastier PM me if you wish
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    As a Dad, I would choose to teach this young man perseverance, application and appreciation. Those things are not bought.

There is some great DOC land and hunting, and i would be happy to assist in getting him a deer. How old is your son I wonder?
    I think your right Tahr. And an outstanding offer. I think i will keep hitting the DOC land for now and let him do a few yards. My son is thirteen , I know thats young to hunt but its always with me at his sholder. He is quite capable with a shotgun(duckshooting) and i have to work to beat him with the 22.I will be putting him in the ballot for the take a kid hunting day at woodhill next year. Anything to get him away from the tv
    SIKAHUNTER, GWH, Scouser and 1 others like this.
    Hey diddle diddle, aim for the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by outinabout View Post
    I think your right Tahr. And an outstanding offer. I think i will keep hitting the DOC land for now and let him do a few yards. My son is thirteen , I know thats young to hunt but its always with me at his sholder. He is quite capable with a shotgun(duckshooting) and i have to work to beat him with the 22.I will be putting him in the ballot for the take a kid hunting day at woodhill next year. Anything to get him away from the tv
    If you want to come down Palmy or the Wairarapa way during the summer, give me yell via PM. We can arrange something for the lad.
    Last edited by Tahr; 16-09-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    sako75, Sniper, Scouser and 2 others like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If you want to come down Palmy or the Wairarapa way during the summer, give me yell via PM. WE can arrange something for the lad.
    Sounds like a guided hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Sounds like a guided hunt
    Sounds like "A walk in the park"
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

On the other hand there is a guy south kaipara who does fellow hunts there
    But tahr's offer sounds better

R93
    Its not about the kill.
    It is just about quality time with the old man.
    My son knows he will never shoot his first deer on private land under my supervision.
    He would have shot shitloads by now if I was that way inclined.
    His first public land deer would have copped it a month ago if he could keep his gob shut. 😊
    It took me ages to get my first animal and I am as keen on hunting now as when I started.
    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 17-09-2014 at 07:59 AM.
    kimjon, BRADS, Huntn and 1 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I think you will find that Tahr is very generous with his time and own expense when it comes to teaching new hunters
    Danny likes this.

My opinion is that if you take him on a hunt somewhere that there are lots of game he will not appreciate the reward of getting a animal and will expect to get something every time (not sure how young he is). my first hunt was when I was 10 with a cousin and we were lucky enough to nail a 120lb boar within a couple of hours. after that I was gutted every time we went hunting because I expected to get another one that easy. I have since learned as I've now spent two years trying to see a deer let alone take a shot at one. could be different but worth thinking about.
    R93 and sometimes1 like this.