Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By High Country Boy
  • 1 Post By SiB
  • 2 Post By Boaraxa
  • 3 Post By Boaraxa
  • 1 Post By Carpe Diem
  • 3 Post By possum_shooter
  • 1 Post By Snowgrass

Thread: Meat Hunting block - Otago

Meat Hunting block - Otago

Hi Guys,

Freezer is looking a bit empty and last few trips have been unsuccessful so I'm looking for somewhere to go for a meat hunt in Otago. I'm happy to pay for access.

Somewhere close to Dunedin would be ideal but happy to travel. I've had a quick look on Google but thought someone on the forum may know where to go.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers

Just pick some public land and put some effort in where you think others wouldn't. I took a nice spiker yesterday smack bang Between two popular huts in the otago area, and all it took was just getting out of eyesight of the 4wd tracks
    7mmsaum, Steve123 and Quest like this.

Quote Originally Posted by High Country Boy View Post
    Just pick some public land and put some effort in where you think others wouldn't. I took a nice spiker yesterday smack bang Between two popular huts in the otago area, and all it took was just getting out of eyesight of the 4wd tracks
    Wish it was always that simple!

SiB
    I haven't shot a deer for a couple of years now. It goes like that. Just go a little more quietly and carefully (and that is the advice I'm giving myself too lol)
    sometimes likes this.

Good advice guys, thanks. I spooked a two deer on Saturday so probably do need to take it a bit more quietly and carefully.

Go for a look in the wainackaruas ..don't google that my spelling is 100% off on that 1 used to be good...I should be going there as well I said to the missz after a couple of failed missions I woundnt shave until I shoot a deer ...shes starting to get a lil grumpy now
    Sideshow and pelv like this.

That might be my next trip, cheers!

Ya can keep that spot now im not going in there again...found my self a neew spot the drought has broken the dreaded hoodoo has gone hoora , im pleased my old mate was with me he turned 60 a few weeks back iv been felling a little bad no meat has come home these past weeks & hes willingly come into some testing country couldn't even find a goat for the freezer last week now he didn't say it but im certain he was starting to doubt my skills...but this evening ooo what fun spied around 12 reds at distance mostly hinds scattered through the scrub but was cool to just watch them 1 promising stag by him self but then I spotted a yearling hind guesstamated 500 so aiming high bang ...naturally I figured id missed but handed the gun to my mate & said wait here while I scurry up there for a look yep no sooner had I entered the bush & there was a deer standing there looking at me 60 meters away fat prego hind , as it turns out my shot was low but after a wonderful evening we didn't care so quitley headed for home just on dark after around a k I spotted movement 50 meters away in high crown fern 30-06 went BOOM BOOM 2 spikers on the deck & my number 4 shaver all ready to go

Name:  IMG_1381 (Copy).JPG
Views: 1082
Size:  165.8 KB
    jakewire, 308 and pelv like this.

Nice man, sounds like a great evening. Good to get the freezer filled up again too!!

I no freezer hasn't had any veno for ages my mate lives a pretty frugal life he couldn't believe how much meat he now has lol

That's a fairly well worked in beard there in the shot - So everyone's congratulations are well earned!!!

Well done that man - Veni Steaks and a leg roast for Christmas me thinks!!!
    Boaraxa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pelv View Post
    Good advice guys, thanks. I spooked a two deer on Saturday so probably do need to take it a bit more quietly and carefully.
    If you spooked two deer on your last outing why are you asking for a spot to hunt? I think you answered your own question there.
    Tahr, rossi.45 and 223nut like this.

Hunting: Things to do

Plenty of handy areas to check out. Check pesticide summaries first especially if taking a dog.
    pelv likes this.