Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

The Milford Track and surrounds

I've been planning with my mate to do a south island mission before I head back to uni (so sometime in feb). I'm really keen to do the milford track, its a bit of a bucket list thing for me, but I'm also keen as to do some hunting on the trip - not necessarily in fiordland, but it would be damn cool if it was. I know the huts are booked out this time of year, so we'd be camping off-track. Anyone on here hunt in fiordland? Anyone done the milford track? Would anyone on here want to meet up for a brew or maybe even a hunt?

Cheers
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Of course, extra caution to make sure I'm well away from the masses of trampers, before I start letting off any rounds. I know Doc has a regulation for that; no loaded arms within 500m of a Great Walk track, I think it is. Regardless, gotta be extra careful.
    Yeah nah bro

I did the Hollyford a couple of years ago, same area but less traffic, saw 4 deer from the track and one in the car park when we got back to the car.

Its pretty awsome we took four days to walk out to the coast then caught the jet boat 1hr back up the inlet/lake/river.

Beautiful part of the country.

Cool, man! I can't wait aye.
    Yeah nah bro

Done the Milford track, to be honest I'd advise doing it off-peak if possible like I did - huts are cheaper and quieter, summer they're pushing 90 people a day through the track so it can get pretty crowded. I think DOC pack a sad about people camping while doing the Milford Track but you might be able to find spots away from the track. If you're fairly fit and have an extra day you can save the cost of the boat in by going over Dore Pass instead.

Best deer I ever tasted we got in the Holyford, about 2km from the road end!

I emailed the fiordland doc office and they said that within 500m is illegal, and can incur a fine of $500 per day per person. 500m isn't too bad, except for in the narrow places where it gets very steep close to the track. I'll have to do more scoping on the topomap to see where its suitable to camp. Perhaps doing the hollyford track is better option, I'll have a look at it.
    Yeah nah bro