Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Moa Stream Hut

Moa Stream Hut

Hi Guys.
    We are planning on heading into Moa Stream/North stream area next week (Wilberforce area)
    Never been there before.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

take insect repellent and cover up, the sand-flies in that area can be brutal
    #DANNYCENT

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    The public hut is the one about 3/4hr upstream, front hut is private belonging to Mt Algidus Station.
    Good country to get around, as you would have seen on earlier NZ Hunter tv programmes.
    As Danny said, dont go without your repellant.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.

Thanks guys.
    What about animal numbers?
    Are there Thar in this area as well as Chamios and Deer?

personally have only seen deer in there but haven't been in recent times....
    #DANNYCENT

Take a fly as well, good chance the hut will be full. Theres been a bit of traffic up there for the past few weeks, everybody in too much of a hurry to shoot a velvety stag. And The Hunters Club are in that area this week too.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Take a fly as well, good chance the hut will be full. Theres been a bit of traffic up there for the past few weeks, everybody in too much of a hurry to shoot a velvety stag. And The Hunters Club are in that area this week too.
    Gold rush on again
    At least the track will be getting smoother until the next flood.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Bugger! Not what I was wanting to hear.
    Pilot mentioned Lyell Hut area as an option as well if any of you know much about that area.

Personally wouldn’t fly in there the access is far to easy for that, just about guaranteed to bump into a few other hunters at this time of year. A few reds and chamois about and the very odd tahr.

Lyell's a bit too far for most deer. But the odd tahr and chamois around. Try the West Mathias Biv if you're thinking of flying, theres a few deer around.

sneakywaza I got
    I bloody forgot about the stupid roar, now they'll come pouring out of the cities in their 9ft tall four wheel drives with winches and snorkels and look at me stickers plastered all over them, tearing up tracks, jamming up huts with bodies, gear, booze and rubbish, shooting in the general direction of anything that moves, filling up the same valleys, crawling all over the same hillsides with fixed crazy 1000yd stares and fingers on the trigger, drooling as they twitch like Obidia as they desperately search for that thing they can kill that proves to their mates that they are in fact men, chest beating hunters providing antlers for the tribe to eat.

Time to go nowhere that doesn't require at least 8hrs hard slog over steep difficult country with only shank's pony to get there .
    tetawa, MattS, Tentman and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    I bloody forgot about the stupid roar, now they'll come pouring out of the cities in their 9ft tall four wheel drives with winches and snorkels and look at me stickers plastered all over them, tearing up tracks, jamming up huts with bodies, gear, booze and rubbish, shooting in the general direction of anything that moves, filling up the same valleys, crawling all over the same hillsides with fixed crazy 1000yd stares and fingers on the trigger, drooling as they twitch like Obidia as they desperately search for that thing they can kill that proves to their mates that they are in fact men, chest beating hunters providing antlers for the tribe to eat.

Time to go nowhere that doesn't require at least 8hrs hard slog over steep difficult country with only shank's pony to get there .
    Its already started, steady stream of vehicles up each valley for the past few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed123 View Post
    Hi Guys.
    We are planning on heading into Moa Stream/North stream area next week (Wilberforce area)
    Never been there before.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Last time i was up there in my 4x4 (only 7 feet tall and usually hauls rubbish out, not in) was early July last year. Didnt see anything other that Thar on them thar hills. Have seen deer on the hills behind Urquharts but that was 5 years ago and was what made me go out and get a hunting rifle.
    As mentioned by Southstag, it is easily accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post

Award that man "something " - best post of the week haha
    piwakawaka and RUMPY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    best post of the week
    I reckon that would be a good thread to start - "post of the week"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!