Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Moose

  1. #1
    Member Bavarian_Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Aus
    Posts
    1,619

    Moose

    I know it's a pretty dumb question but has the idea of another liberation ever been seriously considered? surely it could be done better. Or would that not be even conceived these days?

  2. #2
    Member Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    JAFA
    Posts
    4,477
    DOC would be a burden.....all deer on DOC land are considered 'pests' for eradication....1080 usually......

    other problem is, when the big OK for hunting them was announced, every fukin man and his gran (me included) would be out there slaying the poor big dumb bastards.......back to square one in no time!!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    I know it's a pretty dumb question but has the idea of another liberation ever been seriously considered? surely it could be done better. Or would that not be even conceived these days?
    Not in this day in age I wouldn't think, sadly.
    Yeah nah bro

    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  4. #4
    Semper excretia Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Island
    Posts
    6,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    DOC would be a burden.....all deer on DOC land are considered 'pests' for eradication....1080 usually......

    other problem is, when the big OK for hunting them was announced, every fukin man and his gran (me included) would be out there slaying the poor big dumb bastards.......back to square one in no time!!!!!!!!
    Just wondering why deer are regarded as pests? Haven't they been around for ~100 years?
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

  5. #5
    Gone But Not Forgotten Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know
    Posts
    11,099
    Cause they eat trees
    VIVA LA HOWA

  6. #6
    Semper excretia Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Island
    Posts
    6,278
    Plenty of trees to go around surely? I mean it's not like they're elephants that destroy vast swathes of countryside?
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

  7. #7
    Gone But Not Forgotten Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know
    Posts
    11,099
    Going by their logic vegans are pest too
    VIVA LA HOWA

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Plenty of trees to go around surely? I mean it's not like they're elephants that destroy vast swathes of countryside?
    They are an introduced species therefore a pest (to conservationists) in principle because conservationists are trying to return, as much as possible, the land to the way it was before human introduction of species. That's the way I understand it at least.
    Yeah nah bro

    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  9. #9
    Semper excretia Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Island
    Posts
    6,278
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    They are an introduced species therefore a pest (to conservationists) in principle because conservationists are trying to return, as much as possible, the land to the way it was before human introduction of species. That's the way I understand it at least.
    OK fair enough but humans are an introduced species too... geez that'd make for a pretty boring landscape with no mammals.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    OK fair enough but humans are an introduced species too... geez that'd make for a pretty boring landscape with no mammals.
    The Moa would have made up for it I reckon. Them and the Haast Eagle. Would have loved to have shared the forests with those beasts.
    Scouser likes this.
    Yeah nah bro

    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  11. #11
    Village Idjit Barefoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Westie
    Posts
    3,326
    I would think it wouldn't be that hard to get an import licence from MAF to bring a few in, but you would need to jump through some serious hoops to having them running round the farm.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I would think it wouldn't be that hard to get an import licence from MAF to bring a few in, but you would need to jump through some serious hoops to having them running round the farm.
    Let alone the forest park
    Yeah nah bro

    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  13. #13
    Village Idjit Barefoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Westie
    Posts
    3,326
    you have to wait till after the cyclone for that . . .
    phillipgr and CZ Lux like this.

  14. #14
    Gone But Not Forgotten Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know
    Posts
    11,099
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Let alone the forest park
    Opps they broke out of the fence.....
    phillipgr and CZ Lux like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

  15. #15
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    27,990
    There is a red on a neighbouring property that is throwing a set of antlers like a moose this year. I must snap a picture and post it up on here.
    geezejonesy and jord like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Moose on trail camera NZ
    By Dundee in forum Photography and Video
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10-12-2013, 10:36 AM
  2. No Moose!
    By R93 in forum Hunting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25-10-2013, 09:37 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 09:18 PM
  4. Moose Roar
    By Crwadj in forum Hunting
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 15-02-2013, 10:40 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!