Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mount Pirongia

Mount Pirongia

Thinking about taking the 7mm08 out for a walk tomorrow around mount pirongia has anyone hunted there looking to go out and scratch the itchy trigger finger on a few stinkies if I can find them

One of my friends use to pull a few deer out there when he lived in Hamilton, came in from the Kaniwhaniwha side, I think I am dredging my memory banks her.e

According to permit details I have to notify neighboring land owners before hunting kaniwhaniwha, I am looking at accessing via O'shea road as that is the closest access point for me

I've been in Pirongia. Only spent a day there. There was lots of pig sign but I didn't see any deer. I was on the south end, it was really rugged terrain. It looks a bit flatter up the north end.

DoC cullers have been smashing Pirongia in the last 2 years...1300 goats have been taken out of the food chain. Might be the odd deer about but the 1080 your wonderful AHB and DoC drop has done the majority of them too. Don't fucken get me started!
    Ruger .243....the only gun i'll ever need. (Except when i need something else)

Quote Originally Posted by greendog243 View Post
    DoC cullers have been smashing Pirongia in the last 2 years...1300 goats have been taken out of the food chain. Might be the odd deer about but the 1080 your wonderful AHB and DoC drop has done the majority of them too. Don't fucken get me started!
    I wont get you started, but be sure we all are thinking what you are. Arseholes. For some reason it's an absolute necessity to poison every living thing in our bush.

Thanks for the info. That explains why there's nothing in there.

Hunter308 I'd avise you go have a chat with the Te-Kuiti DOC guys. Find some smaller little blocks where they haven't sent the cullers. It's not much further to drive really. I shot 3 goats in a little block there a couple of months back, and saw lots of sign in some others.

I may just do that went for a drive the other day and talked to a property owner whos property has a poled Doc track going through it and they said the same cullers etc had been through and done their thing. enough to piss me off opportunity of hunting close to home (where I can actually afford to travel) and they bugger it up with that 1080 and bugger up our enjoyment of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    I may just do that went for a drive the other day and talked to a property owner whos property has a poled Doc track going through it and they said the same cullers etc had been through and done their thing. enough to piss me off opportunity of hunting close to home (where I can actually afford to travel) and they bugger it up with that 1080 and bugger up our enjoyment of hunting.
    Well they know where they've been, and the guys in there were happy to point me in the right direction, so I'd reckon that's a good place to start. I'm going to try asking some property owners down there if it's ok for me to shoot some goats on their properties, but it's a couple of hours drive for me.

Well, did you go hunter ?

No doubt there are few goats there so its mostly a nice walk. The bush is mostly pretty thick so look for a bluffy open bit. Like on the north side of Wharuroa in from Greys road. Try to avoid travelling in the valley its choked with paritaniwha. Take a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Remember every single DoC culler you meet will be there because they like hunting not because they want to personally extinctify goats or bugger things up for others. They are hunters like you and me. 1080 is different but again the motivation comes from elsewhere and the guys who actually administer the drops are conscientious civil servants (servants of the people) trying to do their given job well.

There area lot of annoying reserves in the Waikato where the boundary and fence line runs hard up against the bush which is not where the goats like to be and a pain to hunt. If you've got good internet, compare the online DoC boundaries at their hunting permit site, legal access (WAMS site) and google earth to find where the fence and boundary include a bit of old farmland. eg Karikariki reserve just north of Whatawhata. A couple of years ago I caught a mob of goats out there but it was an epic of fence hugging and poled walkway route through farmland to get to and from. Systematically visit one reserve each month starting nearest where you live and more often than not the itchy finger will get some exercise.

Don't be put off by stories of "cullers just been there" "helicopters thrash it"; locals tend to exaggerate and discourage you. Cullers are generally more efficient than you or I but often weather or other factors prevent them killing much on the day.

Bit of a bump.

So what's the deal with taking your rifle with you on one of the walking tracks? Looking at doing the Mahaukura track tomorrow, I have a permit for Pirongia. Mate went up there two weeks ago and reckons there was a fair bit of pig sign about the place.

was up there tonight. not much sign around. the bush is thick in most places. has been smashed with 1080, but i think if u walk around enough you will bump into something. there is always pighunters in there chasing the pork or anything else that will run from dogs. the local community also has a bait stations situated right across the front toward pirongia village, so there also may be a few bods walking about as well. really it gets a fair amount of activity in that bush.

Ah I see, cheers for that. Might strap the SKS to my back anyways, never know what you might come across.